First saltwater (110g build)

Also, I have been in contact with reefbreeders and I'm waiting for their Photon32 to be in stock so I can order one.

80lbs of sand is in with 10 gallons of RO/DI water, just to get it started settling. My RODI unit and rocks will be here this afternoon, so it should be full tomorrow. Just waiting on the sand to settle. SCA 180 gallon skimmer is on the way. Reefbreeders is out of stock for two more weeks, but will be getting one of those for sure.

Last edited:
20130309_185321_zpsad33360e.jpg

20130310_232942_zps630a7798.jpg

20130311_124842_zps703c55a9.jpg

20130311_152555_zps4a7855c1.jpg

20130311_174941_zps30ca1235.jpg

20130311_174951_zpsadf7665c.jpg

20130311_175517_zps354d3bf9.jpg

Tank is full, 130lbs of dry base rock, 10 lbs live rock, 80 lbs of live sand. It's still very cloudy. One of my 90*s on the return was cracked so I improvised with some 1" tubing for the night just to keep it going. 1.026 salinity and .25 ammonia... she's well on her way.

426389_10200974892801447_264214196_n.jpg

549784_10200976795449012_1314766651_n.jpg

Now for the fun part. Well, actually more waiting is next. But then. Then, the fun part.

For a minute there I thought you were rocking one of the deepest aquarium sand beds I've seen. :)

Now for the fun part. Well, actually more waiting is next. But then. Then, the fun part.

For a minute there I thought you were rocking one of the deepest aquarium sand beds I've seen. :)

Haha yeah. I'm really really unhappy with this Ocean Direct live sand. There are so many little sticks and twigs and **** in it. I will go back and aquascape it once the cycle gets started and the sand settles a little better. From 5am-10:30am this morning it cleared up a LOT. Temperature is coming up as well. It was 68 last night and we're at 76 this morning.

I got really lucky with my live rock (I think anyway). I bought 12lbs of it and even though it was 6$ a pound, I got 2-3 Kenya trees with it because they were on one of the rocks. So that made me pretty happy. I put 2 of the rocks in my sump and 2 in the actual tank for now. Skimmer should be here by Friday.

My little helper making sure my live rock doesn't run away.
20130312_193318_zpsbfac4899.jpg

20130313_104515_zps6b20e436.jpg

When I re-setup my 120g I used that tropic eden miniflakes that premiumaquatics ahs and honestly the tank was 99% clear right after adding it. Never have seen anything like it before in all my years reefing. Just a thought for the future if you ever are at a point of new sand. Its fantastic stuff. I hate when that initial sandstorm happens and that cloudy crap gets all over the rocks..you turn some flow on and ..cloudy again as it blows off :mad2:. It will go away eventually

When I re-setup my 120g I used that tropic eden miniflakes that premiumaquatics ahs and honestly the tank was 99% clear right after adding it. Never have seen anything like it before in all my years reefing. Just a thought for the future if you ever are at a point of new sand. Its fantastic stuff. I hate when that initial sandstorm happens and that cloudy crap gets all over the rocks..you turn some flow on and ..cloudy again as it blows off :mad2:. It will go away eventually

Yeah, as soon as I moved rocks this morning and started aquascaping it got completely out of control. I had to turn off the pump this morning to quiet the overflow down and all the bubbles and stuff it introduced when I turned it back on basically made it look look weak tea. Hopefully it'll settle down soon enough to aquascape.

Well, it finally cleared up.
IMG_0911_zpse3e1c9af.jpg

Had our first little issue this morning while I was 4 hours away at work. The sock filter clogged and pushed water over the edge of it onto the floor. I will arrange it differently so next time it wont go on the floor.

How's the cycle coming along? Tank is looking very nice.

I'm in Stillwater for work so the woman has been testing every other day. She's getting restless. Yesterday ammonia was between 0 and .25 and nitrites were at 2ppm. Both are coming down. Haven't checked nitrates as I told her those arent as important right now.

The tank has been holding a steady 79* and my sca skimmer is sitting in the floor waiting for me to get homr and install it. Lights are like 3 weeks out, but fish don't need lights. Gonna start the tank with a pair of clowns, a ywm goby, and a tiger pistol.

Ammonia was zero and nitrites at .5 today. She's making 20g of water to do a water change on thursday. She went by the lfs and ordered a yellow watchman and tiger pistol.

The waiting game is the hardest part of the whole darn process. Glad to hear yours is almost over :) Your "little helper" is adorable by the way. I'm a girl, so i notice those things ;)

The waiting game is the hardest part of the whole darn process. Glad to hear yours is almost over :) Your "little helper" is adorable by the way. I'm a girl, so i notice those things ;)

Our first fish is going in today. It is supposed to arrive by 4. The lfs is saving a tiger pistol and its yellow watchman partner is on the way. Ammonia and nitrites were zero last night after a 20g water change. pH was 8.2 and nitrates were around 5ppm.

The cat is a 6 month old rescue. Hey name is Cami and she's going through a hard time right now with me away at work. The girlfriend thinks she has separation anxiety because she barely comes out from under the couch since I've been gone. She will nuzzle the phone and look behind it when she hears my voice. I feel bad but I can't be home all the time with my job.

Forgot to mention my clean up crew is on the way. About 85 snails in total.

Last edited:
Awe, that sucks man. At least Cami will have a fish to watch soon. :) I've been cycling a 38 gallon nuvo for a few weeks now, and I just threw some damsels in it. The dang cat won't get off the couch to watch them now...lol. He won't watch the 120 gallon right next to his bed. Nope. It's the tiny one that he thinks he can fit it ;)

We have a step ladder next to the tank right now since she is 5'3 and can't do much without it. Cami will sit on the paint tray on it and watch the empty tank now.

I'm 5'2, so I know the feeling. I have to step on a dang chair just to get a frag off the bottom of my 120. My husband uses it as an excuse to make fun of me ;)

Back