First Saltwater Tank

ArtieFufkin

Hi all! I've had freshwater aquariums for years and now I'm currently putting together my first saltwater tank. Its a 55 gallon and I will be turning my 29gal into a sump for it. I plan on having corals and a few fish.

In planning the plumbing I am thinking of 1in overflow drains and 1.25in return line. Haven't decided if the overflow drain will be drilled on the side or the bottom of the tank. Any tips or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to RC! I’m not too good with overflows, I just have a basic Durso drain with bottom drilled (standard 65 gallon). Perhaps @BeanAnimal may be able to help

Welcome and good luck! Post lots of pictures. It's fun for all of us to cheer you on.

I have a 75 gal marineland tank with corner overflow drilled on bottom. They have it plumbed with a drain and return both in the overflow. Can I plumb the overflow with a drain and backup drain and just run a seperate return line?

That's what I was thinking, seems safer to me. Didn't know if there was a specific reason why they might do it their way. Thanks!
Only issue possibly is I believe the holes in the overflow are two different size holes so just different size plumbing

Took a while (stupid working for a living getting in the way) but I got the stand built. Here is a pic of the dry run. Hopefully plumbing and aquascaping this week. Thanks for all the info and tips. More to come

Attachments

• 20230402_155742.jpg
    20230402_155742.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 37
I'm starting to add water but it might take a day or two to fill. Should I have a powerhead running to keep the water moving if I have to leave it for a while?

Attachments

• 20230407_163343.jpg
    20230407_163343.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Back