First Saltwater Tank

Its the Caribsea "Life"rock. I was going to add the Dr. Tim's starter after it is fill and settled. Thanks, I built the stand but my wife designed it.

When I turn on my sump the water flows through the filter socks, the to the sump section, then to the refugium section but its not going high enough to flow properly into the next section. Do I just need to add more water to the system? Or is the pump not pumping fast enough?

Also when the pump turns on the water level in the return section drops 3-4 inches. Then when it goes off it rises back up.

Sounds like you just need to add more saltwater. The rising and lowering of the water when the pump is off/on is normal.

After that, I'm sure you know, but make sure there is enough room in the sump for water to drain back on a shut down.
Mark the sump so there is a visual reminder.

So I have everything up and running (haven't started skimmer since no fish yet) and my water is 26ppt salinity. It seems 35ppt is ideal. Anyone have a rough idea how much salt I should add to a 75 gal tank?

For me, when I do water changes, 2 heaping cups (yes, I use a measuring cup) to 5 gallons water yields 1.025 with both IO and Coralife salt.

Added my first creature. A little hermit crab and a few snails to help the cycle. Got my salinity staying steady around 34ppt which sounds like it should be good for just fish and maybe one anemone. Also put in a Poafamx wavemaker. I have it on the lowest setting in "tidal" mode but it is making some decent turbulence on the surface. Hopefully adding a fish in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• 20230414_155727.jpg
    20230414_155727.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 17
Added my first fish today. Have had 0 ammonia and nitrites for a couple days now so I figured it was time. They seem happy so far! Will probably get them an anemone next week.

Attachments

• 20230502_164822.jpg
    20230502_164822.jpg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 15
This is the wavemaker I have. How can I tell if its too powerful? I have it on the lowest setting but the clown fish seem to be swimming into the current and working a little hard. Maybe I'm just used to freshwater fish with small pumps?
Screenshot_20230502_174753_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here is a link to show the flow. They seem to be hanging out in this corner where I think there is less flow. Maybe once they explore the rocks the can find some more slow spots.

Back