First Time Aquascaping. Comments/Suggestions

FZ1Rider

First time setting up an aquascape. I didn't use any PVC or epoxy. All the rocks are fitted into place. It seems steady although time and creatures will tell. Just looking for some opinions. I'd rather change something now than later.

aquascape-1.jpg

aquascape-4.jpg

Thanks,
Peter

looks good so far, leaning rocks on the glass makes it tuff to clean if you lean them on the back you cant really see the algae etc, as long as your happy stick with it , just a side note the little hand in the last picture will be very expensive at the lfs :) kids want everyfish in there :)

Looks good to me. IMHO, I would change the background to a solid color. I think it brings out he color in fish/corals more :)

Thanks, Hadn't even considered the cleaning bit. I was worrying about stability. I'll try to pull that stuff off the walls.

I agree about the background as well. Next water change I'll probably take out about half and pull it out. I want to paint it dark blue or black rather than using the stick on stuff.

Peter

Not bad I don't care for the back ground go solid black or dark blue. I wouldn't stack so heavy on the wall so you can clean. Do you have a sump? if so get your heater in there and out of your display tank.

Also looks like the rock is on top of the substrate. Any sand crawling creatures will undermine this and cause possible rock slides. The best bet is to get the rock on teh bottom glass and backfill the sand around it. I have also read of people leaning the rock on the glass and the pressure causing problems (read leaks) down the road.

Looks cool! Lots of caves, tunnels and flat areas for corals. Agree with it being diffficult to clean around. But, I have seen alot of pictures with solid coraline on a side or two.

A lot of the big rocks are burrowed in and back filled. The front ones (non supporting) are on just laying there. I've heard a lot about egg crates, any point in this? Anyone here use it.

The other problem I have (and hence the leaning on the glass) is overall stability. I'm sure there is a thread on this but I can't find it yet. What is the best way to make things stable. I don't want to do PVC structures unless it's absolutley necassary and I don't like the gray epoxy that comes in a tube. I can''t get that stuff to work well.

I'd like a clear glue (like silcone you would use around a sink) that I could shoot each joint with and have it stay. Does that make sense or is there another way I need to go here?

Any suggestions would be great. I went to make one change (get things off the glass) and the entire structure dominoed down. I'm glad I found it now but it sure is frustrating having to redo this.

My suggestions:

change background or paint it

put heater in sump or wet/dry if you have space

use the large piece of rock on the left hand side as part of the rock foundation. It has a nice opening that can act as a cave. the way it is now will only act as a detritus collection center.

move rocks away from all panes of glass. Stacking the rocks on the back will cut the flow you will have back there. If you can leave some room it will be very beneficial to your inhabitants.

Aquascaping is something that takes time to do and I guarantee you that you will redo do it several times over the life of the tank. Probably a couple of times before the year is over.

I suggest draining 3/4 of the water and setting up your rock work. Working in a dry environment will let you see what you are doing better and allow you to anchor the rocks on to themselves. You do not need to glue them together.

Good luck. Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Back