Fish collecting

quonnie

Has anyone tried to electro shock the fish in your tank to catch one. They do it in streams all the time, so I don't know why it wouldn't work in your tank. Beats tearing it all apart to catch 1 fish?

I would think it may have some negative effects on the coral and the rest of the inhabitants (inverts, anemone). Plus, it doesn't seem to be a very humane way of catching fish.

Eeeesh. I'm sure the fish they catch in streams they plan on eating or reproducing to make food. I bet they end up dying in the long run because of the negative effects. I would never put anything to possibly shock my system. What about all the plumbing, pumps, heaters, etc. etc. in the water that you can possibly destroy. I would NOT recommend it whatsoever. IMO of course. Hopefully we can get a few others on here that can give us more of a scientific explanation on why not too other than the obvious, don't do it you might kill the fish or even yourself.

I have heard that alot of those little Island countries use this way to catch reef fish that end up in out tanks,still not a good idea

nope the fish a fine afterwards. i haven't seen it done in saltwater. would be a neat trick. someone could get rich quick.

I personally wouldn't do it to my fish. But i have heard thats how allot of the fish we have are caught which makes since.

They shock streams and lakes all the time to do studies and the fish are fine so are the inverts. they use a battery pack so I was just wondering. I may have to make one myself and try it out on on damsels.

Do it!!! I have seen this doen and that is where I saw the largest northern pike EVER in Conesus Lake. Period. I don't even know if I'd let my kids swim in there with monsters like that... It could have eaten my 2 year old, and I am not kidding!

The only question mark about trying this is the fact that we're dealing with saltwater. All of the DEC folks are shocking in freshwater lakes and streams.

Try it at your own (or your fishes') risk.

There are sonic paralyzers that they use. pretty much just sound waves. Similar to how a pistol shrimp hunts. that I would imagine would be much less damaging if at all.

For what its worth I've done freshwater insect collecting with this method. Some stuff lives, a lot of it doesn't. I wouldn't trust it in any tank with snails, crabs, shrimp, etc, and I wouldn't be surprised if it killed the fish too. We ended up with a bunch of dead fish in our samples, though it didn't kill everything.

I think you'd have to commit to knowing how many volts you'd be using so that it would be consistent. That data may not come easy.

Even tazers have killed people recently, and imagine how much money was poured into the research to be used on humans "safely".

Don't tase me bro!

You are shocking into a much smaller volume than a stream or pond.
You have no idea as to what amperage you would have to use.
You cant just stick to electrodes to a car battery and plug in your tank...
Why would you risk killing everything?
You cant be serious.

i would say no to it.
Its not that it is inhuman I just think you will mess up your pumps and all sorts of other stuff you have invested in to your tank.

Back