Fish of the week#6-Gobiodon spp. Clown Gobies

BrianD

Sir Brian The Lenient
Staff member
RC Mod
Gobiodon spp Clown or Coral Gobies

These are great little fish (under 2 inches) with vibrant colors and a peaceful disposition. They are perfect inhabitants for a passive reef tank. They are protected from potential harm from others by a noxious mucous on their skin, which deters predators. Another physical characteristic is pelvic fins shaped something akin to "suction cups" which they use to perch on favorite spots, including rockwork, tank walls, or soft corals, acropora and other corals with a relatively mild sting.

As is true of all marine fish, a varied diet should be offered, and they should be kept in a tank with other non-agressive species. They will eat brine shrimp, mysis, and other frozen foods.

Several gobiodon can be kept in the same tank as long as the tank is of sufficient size for all the gobies to claim a perch. When added as a group they often form pairs and mate. Clown gobies are hermaphrodites, which means that all specimens are born as females, with dominant females turning into males. The male can be identified by longer "breeding" tubes extending from the vents. Breeding is very common in captivity. In the mating process, the female lays her eggs on a favorite rock or coral which are then fertilized and guarded by the male.

Some common species include the citron goby Gobiodon citrinus, the blue-spotted coral goby, Gobiodon histrio, and the yellow clown goby Gobiodon okinawae.

Gobiodon histrio

greenclowngoby1.jpg

Thanks, Brian. I just loved my little Citron until the heater stuck on in my little tank :(

And thanks for the pic, H; I was wondering what they looked like!

~Alice

Is this G. histrio also?

Is this G. histrio also?

I've had this little guy in my q-tank for the last month.

gobiodon.jpg

Back