Fish only 400L tank help

waruna

Hi all, I'm new here and first time having a go at SW. I have decided to get a 400L fish only tank and here’s a list of equipment what I have chosen to go with it. I have not decided which fish I am planning to keep, but want to set up the tank for its maximum fish capacity. I may end up with a handful of fish but want to have the best water quality, pretty much have “over filtration” so to speak than needed.

This filter system I have decided on:

1. Aqua medic Wet/Dry Filter with Protein Skimmer:
http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/products.php?category=Filter Systems&product=Reef 500

2. Fluid bed Filter
3. Live rock

I have been reading pretty much every thing I could about FOWLR tanks and keep reading about "fuge". Is this better than what I have in mind? Also could you please give me some info as to what this exactly is? Any Pics of designs. etc. etc?

Much appreciated,
Waruna

blfuller123

Premium Member
Its not a "bettter" way than what you have listed, but would do well with what you have listed. It is just a natural way to remove impurities. A refugium has tons of other benefits. Personally I wont have a tank without one.

viggen

My FO tank uses a big wet dry which is the size of a 75g tank as well as a protein skimmer a ER RC500..... I just realized it's 400l not 400g :)

I am not sure the liter to gallon ration however I wouldn't do a wet/dry & also a fluidized bet. I would spend the money & get a larger wet/dry, as big as you can get under your stand.

I do not have LR in my tank because I didn't (& don't) feel it's needed plus it would of been expensive.

For a FO tank even a skimmer isn't needed