Flatworm Exit and SPS

Coralfreak

Premium Member
I am sure this question has been asked before, I have done a few searches and found some info, though not much.

I recently purchased a tank and am selling it and the livestock within. In the haste of this, I had to put some of the corals in my own system. And, admittedly my mistake, I did not inspect these very well as I have discovered flatworms on the rocks. So I don't have many and I'd like to rid them as quickly as possible.

Anyone who has used FWE in an SPS dominated tank, did you see any stress in the corals from the FWE? From what I understand it is the die off that causes problems, I should not have much as they have not had a chance to spread.

Anyone used a higher dosage, and what were the results of this? I've heard of people using 2-3x the recommended dosage, is this necessary?

After using FWE, were they gone and did they stay gone?

Basically, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

TIA

Allen

I used 1x dose in a 300 gal system 6 months ago. It did cause some stress in the sps, possibly one( believe it or not )a digi. died back significantly but it has now regrown over the dead tissue.

The bad news, 6 months later they are back.

When you use it the worms really die quick, like in 30 mins. Their bodies float all over the tank.

I would recommend a filter sock, carbon, and even can scoop them out with a net.

Keep me posted I think I will try 2x dose next time or 1.5.

I have used FWE at 3x recommended dosage in a tank full of SPS. You are right in thinking that its the toxins from the flatworms dying that is harmful. So you must run carbon in a forced flow manner such as in a canister filter or media filter. This is very important, especially if you have a lot of flatworms. Running carbon in a filter sock isnt good enough. It must have water forced through it to work properly. The directions state 1lb of carbon for every 50 gallons of system water. I have found this to be efficient. The polyps usualy retract, and if present clams will close up. But all mine have opened back up after running the carbon for a while. I usually start running my carbon about 45 minutes after I dose, and run it for about 6-8 hours.

Thanks guys, that info is very helpful, fortuanately I dont have many of them at this point, hopefully catching them early will make them easier to eradicate. I actually just picked up a canister filter, so this will a good chance to put it to use.

Did you also perform a major water change after this, or mostly go with the carbon for removal?

I have done it both ways. With water changes and without. The first time I dosed I had quite a few worms, and I dont think I used enough carbon, so I did a water change a couple hours after dosing. But since then I've dosed 2 more times without doing water changes and just running the carbon. I would just keep an eye on your corals and maybe do one if they havent opened back up after a couple hours of the carbon. They will close up initially from the toxins but should open back up after a while. My clams were the first to close and the first to open back up. I havent lost a coral yet from dosing(knock on wood). Just be sure to use enough carbon and you should be fine.

Back