Float switches and Apex breakout box

hipertec

I spent 2 hrs trying to get this figured out. Hooking up 2 float switches in series to turn off an Apex outlet if any of the switches are UP (open). Using the other as a backup in case the 1st float fails.

With it normal (both switches down-closed), if I pull any floats up, it turns off the outlet. So it's working correctly.

The problem is at normal state, I want it to be Open (both switches down), that way my Apex menu screen is not orange color.

So I reversed both float valves. This shows the screen as open BUT the valves will not turn off the outlet until BOTH floats are UP.
I tried very combination-wires, floats, programming, and can't get it to work showing normal state as OPEN and when EITHER UP (closed) on EITHER float to turn off the outlet.

Any idea to what I am doing wrong?

Have you checked the polarity? I remembered having this issue before with my breakout box for my old ATO. Try flipping the cables on the breakout box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanka for the input. I did try reversing the wires and that didn't help.

Dave.. I can't flip the other one upside down since it will be a big variance in space from the two floats. Is there another way to accomplish this and how does flipping it correct the problem?

Is this for an ato? If so it’s better to leave it open when up to turn off the pump. If you leave it close (up) and if for some reason the wires break or get disconnected the ato pump will over fill. It was recommended on the neptune forums to set up open to turn any equipment off especially ato.

When you want to run a 2nd float as a safety you can't expect them to both do the same thing at the same time. So you have 1 float that does most of the work. Your main float closes the circuit when the water reaches it. But as a safety you want it to 'open the circuit' if the water keeps going higher. So you need the second float switch to be in a closed position. Most floats you can reverse whether they are NO - Normally Open or NC Normally closed - by removing the plastic clip and turning the float upside down and placing it back on the shaft. When doing dual floats this can confuse you (at least me) quickly. So before taking the floats off - use a sharpie and put an error on each float so you know which way was the bottom before you started.

Also as an FYI - The Apex BOB can be slow to respond to things like floats. So when it seems like everything is perfect and should be working and it doesn't. Sometimes wait a few mins and try again. The BOB can also take several seconds to recognize the circuit closure. And if you are trying to "Check" your work via Fusion - the time delay between you triggering and Fusion showing can sometimes never happen. So try to do your testing by connecting to your Apex directly on your network.

Dave B

Back