Foam reef background

this is kinda late but has anyone every tried foaming over magnets?.. and using magnets to hold the foam to and in the tank?? the magnets would be waterproof due the the foam... ( i think the heavy duty foam would be better) anyways.. nice foam look..

kannin.. how is your reef wall holding up?? is the mh deteriorating it any??

TIA

I siliconed the egg crate to my tank then foamed it up. This is an old pic its all coralined up now.

100_3903-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12325806#post12325806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spike78
The biggest problem I've had with my foam background is my tuxedo urchin eating it in his hunt for coralline. I find hundreds of little pellets of the stuff in the sump after he has been on the wall for a while. Just something to keep in mind.

I gave up on urchins a while back when they started eating the xenia that I wanted to keep :) I'm curious how snails will do though. Hopefully the sand isn't too rough for them.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Hopefully I should be putting water in the tank in a couple weeks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12335906#post12335906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ThaNgBOm321
this is kinda late but has anyone every tried foaming over magnets?.. and using magnets to hold the foam to and in the tank?? the magnets would be waterproof due the the foam... ( i think the heavy duty foam would be better) anyways.. nice foam look..

kannin.. how is your reef wall holding up?? is the mh deteriorating it any??

TIA

It's holding up very well. The cyano is almost gone and I'm starting to gett good coralline growth.

Jason... the snails do fine on it. I have 20 astreas and 13 hermits and I have not seen anything bad. I also have a lawnmower blenny that bites at the foam to get the algae off of it and the sand doesn't come off when he does it.

thanks Kannin

WOW, i never thought about the critters and stuff eating stuff off the wall... thats wacked about urchin pellets... lol...

What kind of plastic polymer is eggcrate. Is it possible to solvent weld eggcrate together? Or, what other ways can you "glue" pieces together?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12401343#post12401343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WLachnit
What kind of plastic polymer is eggcrate. Is it possible to solvent weld eggcrate together? Or, what other ways can you "glue" pieces together?

zipties are easier.

Not trying to bring this post back to life, but could you post some pics of how your tank looks now? Thanks in advance.

Back