For anyone who owns a ARO 250W MH balast.

Wiskey

I just bought 2 ARO electronic 250W MH balasts, on the top of the balast it says "Use 1.2KV (1200V) MIN rated output wire, or style 3576 wire.

I can't find any wire that is rated anywhere close to that, the highest I can find is 600V and the wire I wanted to use is only rated to 300V. What kind of wire did you use to run between the balast and socket on yours?

Thanks,
Whiskey

The 1.2KV is the starting pulse to ignite the lamp. Some MH ballast are as high as 5KV.

The wire has to be rated higher than the ballast operating voltage or Open Circuit Voltage (OCV).

You should only use wire that is rated at least 600 volts. Most commercial metal halide fixtures use 600 volt rated wire.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your advide PaulErik, I will see if I can get what I need in 600V rating. I don't really want to use normal single strand inwall romex wire.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
Whiskey

I used some stranded 14guage wire from HD, rubber coated looks like extension cord wire. I'll have to check the voltage rating on it as I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Back