Formalin and Ich

t.trezona

Would you give a little more info about the mechanism of how this works. Is it possible to carry out this treatment using the hospital tank water and then discard after a bath. After two weeks of treatment all of the organisms should be dead on the fish and in the hospital tank-correct? If so it should be safe to net the fish from the last dip and place in the display tank-correct? Or should we wait for another two weeks of observation in the hospital tank?

Before I go on to address your specific questions, I should state that formalin is not my favorite treatment option. Using hyposalinity (given an accurate glass, floating-style hydrometer or refractometer) or even daily water changes are my general recommendations.

"Is it possible to carry out this treatment using the hospital tank water and then discard after a bath." - Sure. That would be my preference. Isolate the infected fish in a QT tank, draw water from that tank every other day for a formalin dip, and then replace with new, well mixed saltwater.

"After two weeks of treatment all of the organisms should be dead on the fish and in the hospital tank-correct?" - Correct

"If so it should be safe to net the fish from the last dip and place in the display tank-correct? Or should we wait for another two weeks of observation in the hospital tank?" - I would prefer to hold the fish in QT after the treatment is complete for an additional month to ensure optimum health.

I asked the question for the following reason: Obtained a Copper Banded Butterfly from a major on line vender and placed into a QT tank. Ich appeared 3 days later. Immediately started Formalin dips every other day. The fish tolerates this with no obvious stress. White spots gone immediately. The fish appears perfectly healthy and vigorously feeds. I do not want to risk my display tank. By the life cycle of the organism and the mechanism by which Formalin works all parasites should be dead (including those in the QT tank) after the last bath-correct? Continued time in the QT is then only to improve health and has nothing to do directly with the parasite-correct?

"By the life cycle of the organism and the mechanism by which Formalin works all parasites should be dead (including those in the QT tank) after the last bath-correct?" - Yes

"Continued time in the QT is then only to improve health and has nothing to do directly with the parasite-correct?"- Not exactly. This additional time is an observation period to make sure everything is ok with the fish. It also gives you peace of mind to make sure everything went as it is supposed to.

Back