Found my tank and excited to be back

I picked up a 135 gal tank the other day.

It's going to be a reef tank. I'm going to drill it all myself for a beananimal set up. So if you guys have any pointers, tips or tricks from experience with this, lemme know ;)

My plan is drilling 1 3/4" holes to run 1" bulkheads for the whole plumbing. I'm thinking a 50 gal sump including a fuge?

I'm going to build the entire stand as well.

I'll be taking pics of the whole progress and posting them.

Glad to be back everyone!

Ian

Here's a pic of the tank :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Join Date 2004?!
You took ten years to find a tank? :lmao:

Welcome back and have fun with your build! Post pics as you go.

:thumbsup:

Welcome back.

I haven't seen a beananimal in a while. Now of days people just do a straight stand pipe with a maggie muffle on top.

As for the refugium my personal opinion is to go large or not at all. I typically like my refugiums half the size of the display. Skimmers are so advanced these days you might as well save the space for an nice over sized protein skimmer and maybe a bio-pellet reactor or GFO reactor depending on the fish load you will have.

That is just my 2 cents, there are many ways to make a perfect tank.

Welcome back.

I haven't seen a beananimal in a while. Now of days people just do a straight stand pipe with a maggie muffle on top.

As for the refugium my personal opinion is to go large or not at all. I typically like my refugiums half the size of the display. Skimmers are so advanced these days you might as well save the space for an nice over sized protein skimmer and maybe a bio-pellet reactor or GFO reactor depending on the fish load you will have.

I ended up in Reef Culture to check some things out tonight after work. I was told a straight stand pipe with a muffle on top is the way they'd go. Most likely because they have no experience with beananimal, which I don't hold against them at all! It makes me think though, I may just do a complete coast to coast weir with 3 drains and come back with two returns. I'm actually not too concerned with the noise. Although I don't want a complete waterfall sound, I wouldn't mind a small sound going into a, say a 4-5 inch weir.

thoughts?

I did a bean animal on a semi coast2coast with a 4 inch weir and it was dead silent. I did not give the weir any teeth and had fantastic surface agitation. I have a build thread on here for it somewhere and there is a really good (400 page) bean animal thread on rc that you have probably already read but they were extremely helpful with the questions i had.

The one thing i didn't care for with the coast 2 coast overflow.was the amount of space it took up. I did it because my bottom was tempered glass and undrillable but its not a design i would do otherwise.

Welcome back.

I'm not sure I agree with the advice about the fuge. I run a 10 gallon on a 110 system and love it. I do have to harvest Chaeto a little more frequently but for growing pods and algae, it's great. It's also fun to look at. I can't tell you whether it's reduced my nitrates or phosphates but considering the way the Chaeto grow, it must be doing something.

I ended up in Reef Culture to check some things out tonight after work. I was told a straight stand pipe with a muffle on top is the way they'd go. Most likely because they have no experience with beananimal, which I don't hold against them at all! It makes me think though, I may just do a complete coast to coast weir with 3 drains and come back with two returns. I'm actually not too concerned with the noise. Although I don't want a complete waterfall sound, I wouldn't mind a small sound going into a, say a 4-5 inch weir.

thoughts?

I have seen people do coast to coast with the maggie mufflers to. Either way it should be a cool look.

I'm not sure I agree with the advice about the fuge. I run a 10 gallon on a 110 system and love it. I do have to harvest Chaeto a little more frequently but for growing pods and algae, it's great. It's also fun to look at. I can't tell you whether it's reduced my nitrates or phosphates but considering the way the Chaeto grow, it must be doing something.

If you are just trying to go pods then any size fuge is okay, but if it is your main system nutrient export you gotta go big.

If you are just trying to go pods then any size fuge is okay, but if it is your main system nutrient export you gotta go big.

Now you have me. Totally agree that a a sole source of export, a small fuge would be ineffective. I do find it interesting though how fast my algae grows. I can probably harvest 1/3 of the algae every three to four weeks and it's a pretty big bag. I suspect it's because my skimmer is probably on the smaller size for my tank.

I know this is probably a newbie question but, the fuge should be before the skimmer?

I'd put the skimmer in the same chamber with the drain lines then the fuge (if you're set on doing one). You can always section off the fuge and feed it with a "T" off the main drain or with a little maxi-jet pump from the skimmer/return section.

Either way you do it, I would recommend to set it up so detritus from the main display can be skimmed or settle & siphoned out. If you put the fuge immediately after the drain lines, detritus can settle there and you'll end up with a nutrient sink.

BTW, nice tank -- looking forward to see the progress.

The maggie mufflers are pretty quiet but not silent like the herbie method. I run both of those and would do both again. Depends on how quiet you want the overflow to be and how much you want to spend on plumbing parts. If you're less concerned about noise, go with a straight standpipe and a maggie muffler -- it's so simple and cheap.

The herbie method requires a gate valve and three lines (1 main drain, 1 emergency and 1 return). Slick design and 1" lines would be more than adequate.

Back