FOWLR stocking advice

moe103

Hey everybody,

I originally posted this in the reef section but was advised to post it here.
So I am starting up a new FOWLR system and would like some advice on fish selection. Tank stats are as follows:

tank- 72x24x30 (LxWxD)
sump with reef octopus elite 220 PS, 40 watt UV, 2 filter socks and a Dolphin Diamond Amp Master 4750-3 external pump. Should I include bioballs or something else in the sump? I may add a gfo reactor if phosphates become a problem.
2 inch LS and about 150 lb LR

My fish wish list is as follows:
Holocanthus tricolor
Acanthurus leacosternon
Centropyge loricula
Gramma loreto
Gramma melacara
Chaetodon xanthurus
Chaetodon rafflesi
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon ephippium
Pterapogon kauderni
Pseudanthias ignitus and or
Chrysiptera starcki

At some point I would like a second angel. I have narrowed it down to:
Pomacanthus navarchus
Pygoplites diacanthus
or Chaetodontoplus duboulayi (if I win the lottery)

Please let me know what you think of my selection. I am new to SW but this is for an office I work in and I have a professional company that will service the tank and qt the fish prior to stocking. As the resident expert (I care enough to do the research) they have left the decisions up to me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

If you plan on a regal I would add it before any of the butterflies or other angel. Liveaquaria has Scribbleds on sale for $199, down from $350... They are more affordable than you think

If you plan on a regal I would add it before any of the butterflies or other angel. Liveaquaria has Scribbleds on sale for $199, down from $350... They are more affordable than you think

Man if I had the tank for them...
200 is a very good price, plus free shipping..
Yeesh.
For a regal expect to pay anywhere from 100 for an Indo-pacific regal to 350 for a Red Sea regal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated stocking plan

Updated stocking plan

So my current stocking is:

Chaetodon xanthurus
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon auriga
Pterapogon kauderni x 2
Chromis viridis x 5
Gramma loreto x 2

I plan on stocking the following:
Pygoplites diacanthus- Red Sea
Chaetodontoplus duboulayi
Centropyge loricula
Chaetodon semilarvatus
Chaetodon flavirostris
Chaetodon tinkeri
Chaetodon rainfordi
Chaetodon fasciatus

I would also like to stock one tang.

Is this too many butterflies?

Thanks

IMO, I would take about 2-3 Butterflies off the list. I'm just thinking in a 6ft tank that may be too many. I would probably do 2 tangs.

I have a rock beauty and he's one mean fish. I don't think I would trust him with some of the fish. He beat up my yellow tang, my copperband, and my pearlscale.

I would love to see some amazing Fish only set ups. I think some of these angels and butterflies are just stunning.... worth fish only!

Great list

Back