Frag Grow Out

I'd be interested in this. Really depends on if i know the designated grower. It would seem pretty foolish to just hand over my money to a random.

If I may add my .02.... As a mod on the "other forum" I've seen more of these fail than succeed, particularly with chalices. Granted, these were primarily large group buys with members from all over the country, but whoever the grower is should be aware of what they're getting into. People want constant updates and patience seems to be lost almost immediately. I've even see people threatening to press charges when there are claims that a crash occurred, so as a C.Y.A., I'd make all participants sign a contract to be on the safe side. Also make sure that the grower is someone that is consistently on the boards and contact information should be provided for all members of the grow out. It's sad to point this out, but there are some very unscrupulous people out there that ruin it for everyone. IMHO, Something like SPS or polyps might be better corals to start with due to the faster growth rate... HTH

I agree that alot of these fail. However, I think keeping it small and contained only to members of the club will help dramatically. As for the constant updates...I think that a set schedule for updates should be agreed upon ahead of time....that way whoever the grower is does not have to worry about being hounded. Setting proper expectations for the timeframe is also critical. I would think the people causing the most trouble would be those that had the unrealistic expectations of getting their piece in a month or two. As Kong as we can find a good person for the grower....I'm still in.

Thanks Scott those things you mentioned are primary reasons that I wanted to do this IN Club only. Preferably with people that I know and that know me, and only a small group at that. Before any monies were to be spent all of these things would be addressed with the group.

If the person decided upon would agree I would even lend my IP camera for the tank so that we could all "watch" the progress.

If anyone that has responded so far has any issues with things stated by Scott earlier I would ask that you NOT participate. This is NOT going to be a fast project and there is a HIGH risk of failure. With that said the reward could also be High as well. I personally have NEVER bought a coral over $90. If I was to lose a coral that was being cared for to the best of my ability (all be it in someone elses tank) that was worth 500-600 and only spent a 100 on it I would be heartbroken but none the worse for wear.

Of the people currently "IN" my vote would be Franky with his "exceptional" husbandry skills :blown:

I'm in for the buy but I'm not gonna be the designated grower. I will wait until I get my piece and pay pretty much whatever knowing that I might possibly not get anything in return and when I do I'll be pleasantly surprised. I have lots of chalices and love the colors. I can tell you first hand that most of the chalices in my tank are nearing the 3 year mark and they still haven't fully encrusted my 2" frag disc so people may be waiting longer than they may even think. Perhaps a group buy on a larger piece with multiple eyes that can be fragged and distributed amongst the paying participants that agree to the price and number of eyes. And then everyone can share updates of their own individual growth

I'm in for the buy but I'm not gonna be the designated grower. I will wait until I get my piece and pay pretty much whatever knowing that I might possibly not get anything in return and when I do I'll be pleasantly surprised. I have lots of chalices and love the colors. I can tell you first hand that most of the chalices in my tank are nearing the 3 year mark and they still haven't fully encrusted my 2" frag disc so people may be waiting longer than they may even think. Perhaps a group buy on a larger piece with multiple eyes that can be fragged and distributed amongst the paying participants that agree to the price and number of eyes. And then everyone can share updates of their own individual growth

I agree with Franky, maybe high end SPS or Zoas would be a better bet, but thats only my 2 cents...If it were me, i'd love to go in on one of those sweet zoa packs that they sell with a few polyps of each of those hard to gets...have someone with good zoa growing abilities then wait a few months and everyone gets something at a better price than 100 per polyp...lol.

I like your idea as well Franky. I also noticed one of the sites I was looking at(pending further investigation of reputation) Neptune's Cove had multi eye discounts.

100 for one eye 60 for two and 50 for 3+ on that arctic meteor storm one.

We have done several. One chalice grow out on a dif forum has been silent since Sept. No word on whats living if anything at all. That was $1000. The pics u put up, are hot. Some we bought. Long process, and u gotta be willing to lose money.

Yup 6 people willing to lose $100 buy a $600 frag of some rainbow chalice and if they get a piece back then they can have a baby $600 pice that only cost the $100. Patience and no promise I'm in lol

Best guess how long would it take. Another problem depending on how long it would take to grow out who knows if everyone would still have a tank by the time it was grown out big enough for 6 people. Unless it was done frankys way. Something could happen. Tomorrow and anyone of us may have to take there tank down

Hard to guess you have the Hollywood stunner which is a super fast grower with a thinner exoskeleton and then you have the rainbows that everyone wants that take forever

There is no way to estimate the time frame. Obviously there are ways to help the process...target feeding and the like. But if you were looking for an estimate....i would imagine this grow out would take about a year for six people. Of course as we have all seen sometimes multiple eyes develop at the same time, but I would be hoping for an eye every other month. As for not being in the hobby...what I would say is at that point either you would sell your frag or maybe someone would want to buy you out of the grow out and then they would get your piece. I think keeping it local to people who are constants on the boards really limit the possibilities of issues. Another idea to entice the grower would be to not have them pay to participate. All their work keeping the chalice healthy and the other participants at ease would be their "payment" to participate.

Back