Frag Tank

AK707

so I've decided to start a frag tank build but of course i have a few questions.

Tank: Advanced acrylics 30x20x12 with corner overflow
Light: SUN BLAZE 24W X 4 LAMP T5 FIXTURE - SUNLIGHT SUPPLY
Return Pump: QUIET ONE PRO 1200 (317 GPH) - LIFEGARD
ATO: OSMOLATOR NANO 3152 AUTO TOP OFF - TUNZE

my main question is the sump, i would like to use a 10G petco tank that i already have but im not sure if its going to be big enough, i think the return pump will empty the sump faster than the overflow will fill it because Im also trying not to use a power head and just use the return pump for flow in the frag tank.
I have about 20, 1/2" marine pure bio balls ill throw in the sump and under the egg crate that im stacking frags in. Im also not sure if i need a skimmer or fuge.
i was thinking of just tossing a snail or 2, hermit or 2, 1 lawn mower blenny and a damsel in the frag tank.

am i missing anything?

tia

10g definitely to small. I'd go for like a 20 long or even bigger. Allows you space for things as well. If you're doing sps frags then id add a powerhead like a vortech or something.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

An sps frag tank needs to be a tank capable of growing sps corals long term if you want success. Treat it like a normal sps system, nothing less.

It's about a 30g frag tank. If you can't tie it into your main tank's sump, then I wouldn't waste the energy to have a tiny sump. I'd just do regular small water changes. I'm just guessing here, but on a 30g system with coral and maybe 1 small algae eater, I'd try for a 5g water change every week. If that works well you could try doing them smaller or less often. But that's just my opinion.

My 25g frag tank is tied into my 65g shallow reef tank and 100g sump/refugium.

well i do have a 20g long i could use, better yet ill just go get a 40 breeder since petco is doing the 1$/gallon thing.That will put the total system volume around 60ish gallons. i knew i needed a bigger sump i just wanna utilize what i already have.i knew i needed a power head too so ill get this one TURBELLE NANOSTREAM 6040 (53 - 1,190 GPH) - TUNZE thats the cheapest one that comes with a controller i can find, its $140.

Back