From Tunze to MJ Mod?

jimsta

Premium Member
Currently I have 2 tunzes (6100 and 6000) on a multi-controller with magnet mounts and all. The works.

I was talking to a guy the other day and he made me realize that the controller really serves no purpose in my tank. All of my SPS are huge and I need A LOT of flow... all the time. So I figured there was no point in me having the controller. And without the controller, is there really any reason why I would not buy 2x 1200 high flow MJMods. I would be getting almost the same amount of flow.

Both of my tunzes are located on opposite sides of a 5ft 150g. Each points at the opposite end of the tank so flow is spread out and softer once it goes the distance. I know the MJMods do not have the "spread" of a tunze but I really don't need too much spread.

Would it be a wise decision to sell the tunzes and get the MJMods, or do you think I would be dissapointed?

I'm considering retiring my MJ-mods to switch to two Tunze nanos. Anything remotely in the path of the MJ-mod stream is going to get beat by the flow. The flow won't dissipate much over the distance of the tank, and any SPS in its way will probably be stripped of flesh on the exposed side.

Unless there are some financial reason you are considering selling the Tunze, I would just leave them. No reason needed for a downgrade. If it aint broke...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488727#post10488727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
I'm considering retiring my MJ-mods to switch to two Tunze nanos. Anything remotely in the path of the MJ-mod stream is going to get beat by the flow. The flow won't dissipate much over the distance of the tank, and any SPS in its way will probably be stripped of flesh on the exposed side.

If thats the case, then your maximods are designed incorrectly, with the props too far back, or the output too narrow.

The standard Mjmods maximod is WAY more disperse than a Tunze 6100. Nanostream, I dont know, but the maximods are way more disperse than standard Tunzes.

If you're using Oceanflos, yeah, they'll rip the flesh off of anything, but I was saying that a year ago when they came out, too narrow, too long.

Jimsta, I sold my tunzes and bought maximods. Honestly, I didnt notice a difference, and had a couple hundred extra bucks to put towards other things.

The big thing about maximods is that it IS a DIY project, and if you screw them up, theyre gonna suck, and if you do it well, they'll be great.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10490934#post10490934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
If thats the case, then your maximods are designed incorrectly, with the props too far back, or the output too narrow.
Rich, could you post a picture of where you mounted your propeller to the shaft on your MJ-mods. I used the kit from MJmods.com and followed their instructions. How can the output be too narrow?

I compared the flow from a Tunze nano and MJ-mods by placing my hand in front of the powerhead. The MJ-mod has a much more forceful flow that is very linear. In my 55 gallon tank, the medium flow MJ-mods are too forceful and many corals have been adversely affected b/c they're getting a constant beating.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10491581#post10491581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
Rich, could you post a picture of where you mounted your propeller to the shaft on your MJ-mods. I used the kit from MJmods.com and followed their instructions. How can the output be too narrow?

I compared the flow from a Tunze nano and MJ-mods by placing my hand in front of the powerhead. The MJ-mod has a much more forceful flow that is very linear. In my 55 gallon tank, the medium flow MJ-mods are too forceful and many corals have been adversely affected b/c they're getting a constant beating.

It looks to me like your MJ mods were too powerful for your tank period.

The MJ mods actually DO have a cone shaped stream output just like the Tunze. The only reason why it feels like linear stream when compared to the nano stream is that because the stream is much more powerful and further reaching.

In my 55g, the flow starts to form/dissipate into a cone shape about a quarter to third way through the length of the tank. I could see flow throughout the bottom of tank so if the flow was linear, this would not be the case. at all. The nano in contrast is a very weak pump in comparison and the flow starts to dissipate a lot sooner.

What kind of corals are you keeping? MJ mods are not always right for every tank, but for SPS they are great. If you compare the larger Tunzes (6060, 6080, 6000, 6100, 6200) against the MJ mod, you will feel and see the same type of flow.

Maybe try using a smaller propeller?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10490548#post10490548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Deuce67
Unless there are some financial reason you are considering selling the Tunze, I would just leave them. No reason needed for a downgrade. If it aint broke...

Well if he doesn't need the controller, there is almost no point to having the larger Tunzes. He could sell them and make some money back to buy other things :D

Here is a picture of my 55 gallon mixed reef with two medium flow MJ-mods. The aquascaping could probably be arranged to accommodate the two MJ-mods, but the rock was setup long before the mods were added. The frogspawn and hammer corals weren't happy anywhere. I'm not disputing that MJ-mods can work in a 55 gallon tank, its just tricky.

FullTank.jpg

Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10488467#post10488467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimsta
I was talking to a guy the other day and he made me realize that the controller really serves no purpose in my tank. All of my SPS are huge and I need A LOT of flow... all the time. So I figured there was no point in me having the controller.

Random flow that moves around in the tank is what you can get with the tunze controller. If you need turbulent flow just in the middle of the tank, then you could go with 2 static powerheads pointed at each other. If you want more random flow throughout the tank, you'll need more than 2 powerheads at the minimum for your size of tank. Even with multiple powerheads/closed-loop outlets around the tank controllability would be nice. For folks with closed loops the wavyseas are nice to get more random flow. Point is, folks generally don't get random flow that they want without something that varies with time (directional with a waysea, or variable output with something like a tunze controller). If I were you, I'd simply bump up the transformer on your 6000 to make it a 6100, and continue to use the multicontroller. You could also experiment by adding a PH or two in areas that aren't getting a lot of flow now.

Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10492509#post10492509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
Random flow that moves around in the tank is what you can get with the tunze controller. If you need turbulent flow just in the middle of the tank, then you could go with 2 static powerheads pointed at each other. If you want more random flow throughout the tank, you'll need more than 2 powerheads at the minimum for your size of tank. Even with multiple powerheads/closed-loop outlets around the tank controllability would be nice. For folks with closed loops the wavyseas are nice to get more random flow. Point is, folks generally don't get random flow that they want without something that varies with time (directional with a waysea, or variable output with something like a tunze controller). If I were you, I'd simply bump up the transformer on your 6000 to make it a 6100, and continue to use the multicontroller. You could also experiment by adding a PH or two in areas that aren't getting a lot of flow now.

You might want to rethink that method.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10492487#post10492487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J. Montgomery
Here is a picture of my 55 gallon mixed reef with two medium flow MJ-mods. The aquascaping could probably be arranged to accommodate the two MJ-mods, but the rock was setup long before the mods were added. The frogspawn and hammer corals weren't happy anywhere. I'm not disputing that MJ-mods can work in a 55 gallon tank, its just tricky.

EDIT ... ... ... I deleted my old text and am editing this in (I misread your post when I initially replied).

You can switch to a smaller prop for less flow. I've even used 1' Dumas props in the past.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

Re: Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10492673#post10492673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
You might want to rethink that method.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

That's the third time I've seen this article posted in a flow thread in the past few weeks. I've never seen anyone explain what it means though. Are we supposed to turn our tanks into a whirlpool? Is that what it is trying to say? I think that is what some people have gotten out of it. What does it mean in the context of this thread?

I definitly think you should upgrade to the maxi mods. As a matter of fact. I will ship you 4 brand new maxi-mods for your Tunze 6100, 6000 and any other controlling equipment. PM me if you are serious on this upgrade.

Re: Re: Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

Re: Re: Re: Re: From Tunze to MJ Mod?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10492940#post10492940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miwoodar
That's the third time I've seen this article posted in a flow thread in the past few weeks. I've never seen anyone explain what it means though. Are we supposed to turn our tanks into a whirlpool? Is that what it is trying to say? I think that is what some people have gotten out of it. What does it mean in the context of this thread?

Simply put yes. The circular laminar flow will actually move more water enmass because it utilizes the existing inertia from the current and build up in speed thereby increasing turbulence overall. Whereas if you have a pump turning off and on every few minutes, that inertia/momentum is lost once the pump turns off.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have been at work so will reply to everyone in order.

J. Montgomery- It is a 150g not a 55 and the acros will be 4 feet in front of each MJMod. I have my tank arranged so that on the left side all the corals are in the back of the tank, and on the right side all of the corals are in the front of the tank, so both ways it is 3-4 feet b4 corals. Thank you for the response, hope you get yours worked out :)

Deuce 67- Money can be put toward... better skimming/new frag tank setup/a new chameleon(yes the lizard).

Rich-Thanks for the thumbs up. I hear you about the DIY part, i figure that SOMEONE in the my local club must have done this already, and if I break it then i can buy another for cheap, will prob purchase from g.carroll hopefully.

Crumbletop- Dhnguyen answered the question for me, the pumps would be set up to make the circular laminar flow.

dhnguyen- you are pretty much thinking all the same things as me, glad you replied, you are the original creator of them (right?)

gcarroll- YGPM

Anyone else?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10493658#post10493658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimsta
dhnguyen- you are pretty much thinking all the same things as me, glad you replied, you are the original creator of them (right?)

Nah. I just improved the original DIY design a bit and made it easier for others to follow is all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10493658#post10493658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimsta
Crumbletop- Dhnguyen answered the question for me, the pumps would be set up to make the circular laminar flow.

I'm afraid that would make for lopsided goofy looking stony corals. Massive flow is what happens on a reef, but it is not unidirectional. That article basically spends several hundred words saying absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.

you need the controller for more random flow. If you want a lot of flow just get a tunze wavebox. No more dead spots at all....

If you move to modded MJ you are taking a step backwards....

dont care about random flow to tell you the truth. I have seen countless SPS tanks that just have big return pumps and a closed loop. No controller or wavemaker or anything. I have seen a tunze wavebox in person, I was VERY unimpressed. It was in a 110g and turned all the way up, along with a few maxijet 1200's. I had at least 2-3 times the flow in my tank.

Back