Frustrating algae issue!

JurisHP

I have been battling brown algae on my glass, sanded, rocks...for MONTHS...it never goes away. Water changes, changed my lighting photoperiod, stopped dosing AlgaeGro (Brightwell)....it just keeps coming in full force.

180g mixed reef;
Protein Skimmer;
3 Ecotech G5 Blues;
Refigium with Kessil H80 Tuna Flora that is on opposite my DT lights;
Feed pellet (switched from frozen);
I always have a bag of carbon in the fuse...maybe 1 cup;
Parameters:

Ca: 500 right now but usually in the 450 range;
dKH: 8.8
Mg: 1330
Temp: 78

Also as an aside...I have been battling flatworms...I have used FlatwormExit according to the instructions but they keep coming back!

Thoughts?

For algae issues, the important parameters are Nitrate and Phosphate. How old is your tank? What type of protein skimmer, and what's the output like? What type of cleanup crew do you have?

Finally, "brown algae" covers a lot of ground. Just a dusting (everyone gets that on their glass and most clean the glass anywhere from daily to weekly, depending upon the growth)? Filamentous? Snot-like, with trapped air bubbles?

Kevin

Tank is 13 years old. Skimmer is a NYOS Quantum 160. Output is brown and wet not thick....The algae comes off the glass in sheets as opposed to just disappearing when I scrape it.

Hmm, a 13 year old tank. What type of substrate do you have, and how thick? And Nitrate and Phosphate - those are the algae fuel.

Kevin

Do you have a photos of the algae to help identify it?

Also with regards to flatworms, I’ve had excellent results with my yellow coris wrasse keeping my red planaria in check.

Back