Fuzzy clear algae?

I have had this before, and got it again now. It's harmless as far as I'm concerned, and I think eventually goes away on it's own. Plus, it doesn't look that bad to me :D

Well, I've noticed that with more nutrients in the tank, it develops a longer brown hair like algae. I had some cheato die and the fuzzy stuff grew to a longer brown. Trying to knock it back again. I've yet to have a good increase in Coralline algae.

I have some left over GFO and will throw that in a reactor after my next WC this week to see if it makes a difference.

I am going to add a small army of blue leg hermits and see if it helps. If its hair they should eat it, if its cyano they should eat it. My tang and foxface will have nothing to do with the stuff..

Well it appears the 300 blue legs I added are cleaning up the rock. I will post some pictures when they make their way over to the rocks in the above photo.

Here's something, I wonder if this stuff as actually an Iron fueled algae, as many of us stated that it appeared after using GFO and it's been speculated that GFO may introduce soluble iron into our systems.

Just from my own observations with it, I increased the amount of GFO I was using to get rid of it from 12tbsp to 16tbsp and it seemed like it's just gotten worse.

I have not seen my astraea or blue legged hermits eat too much of it, although a few times I think I might've caught some of my blue leggeds munching on it, not sure.

Although I might have a light CUC, 3 astraea snails, maybe 15ish or so blue leggeds, 4 - 6 nassarius snails, 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp in a 46g. Thinking about getting about 2 more astraea snails, 5 -10 more blue legs, and maybe like 25 cerith snails to see if it'll help. Does that sound like an adequate CUC for my 46g?

It could be the iron. I was dosing Iron before I added to GFO to help macro growth in my refuges. So to me it seems like the algae would have shown up then unless the GFO release a good bit of iron causing a spike.

No luck, This stuff is now growing on living coral in very high flow areas for some reason. Its also living on bubble algae :p
IMG_4699.jpg

Had the same algae growing all over the place in my tank. It will take over your corals if you let it grow. Tried Zeovit and GFO but it only slowed down its growth. Tried blackout and it comes back right after. Finially got myself some API algae fix marine and all disappeared in about a week. Tried it if you havn't. Do a search on algae fix marine here and read up on it. Most has no ill effects but please do your research. My algae has went away but it needs a maintaince dose to keep them in check.
Steven

I have been fighting this since I added Neozeo to the system. It is a type of cyano bacteria, I had it tested by a member on here under a microscope. I believe it has something to do with too low nutrients in some capacity. Either phosphate or nitrate is severely limited causing this issue. Has to be an answer, possible that the iron is a culprit. I hadn't thought of that. My snails all eat it and seem to be happy about it.

3 days lights out skimmer on full blast and water changes! And if u can get a clean up crew they eat alot of stuff.. dwarf crabs (red leg). And try to remove some of te stuff ur self . But make sure u do water changes (1) skimmer working properly (2) and clean up crew and i am sure u now it's not going to happen over night fight it . And a gfo is rowaphos try that in a reactor aswell

Back