Fwc

rogergolf66

im an addict lol
I have gotten multiple calls and texts this month from other reefers who have sold or posted corals for sale. For what ever reason Fwc is out on the hunt right now. If u are going to sell corals pay the $75 for your license to sell. The penalties are high. You don't want this over a $5 frag.

Roger

This only applies to ppl selling like a business right? I'm currently contemplating tearing my tank down & certainly don't need that headache.

If see one coral for any reason u need the license by law. Doesn't matter why.

Don't hold me to this but I believe if u sell your system and give ;) away the coral u r ok but I'm not the fwc

I think a stickied link to how to get whatever license needed is in order here. Searching for 20 minutes and can't find it. Doesn't help that several of the sites oages won't load.

Just to second what Roger is saying. I have a couple of friends who sell online,local and do the shows and three of them have been visited this month alone. There are more than just one license that they are looking for to sale retail (person to person) there is a license for that, if you are growing it you need a aquaculture license, to sell outside your county there is a license for that. To purchase from an aquaculture you are supposed to have a wholesale license. Not saying they are beating down everyone's door who has a tank but they are cracking down on people who advertise on Facebook, craigslist, and those at the shows. The local shops are blowing the whistle over here. In the last three months the FWC and the county have been to two of my friends to make sure the correct tax I'd and all licenses are up to date. Also side note if you aquaculture you must have a place to evaporate your saltwater you can not dump it. Do what you want with the info take my word or not but I have spoken with FWC now three times twice at my friends and once while I was installing there generator and all depends on the officer who shows up so be nice and have a good idea what you are supposed to be doing.

I believe everyone's accounts but I will say I scoured the FWC site and could not find any information or license requirements to Purchase|Sell|Trade|Barter
Coral for Personal or Recreational use

The catch to all this is to sell retail you can only buy from a whole seller, to buy from a store grow out and sell you now become a aquaculture facility and the rules change again if you sell to a store now you are a whole seller and another license is needed. You must document where you bought the coral if you buy someone's coral and they do not have a sellers license and you do now you have bought coral illegally and your license is on the line. Now they can't tell the difference between one acro and the next or one zoa or the next you just need something saying you are buying from a licensed dealer and selling to what ever license you hold (public or private). I again am no expert or trying to start an argument but they are cracking down on this and it is not worth the $5 like Roger said.

Many threads on this issue

If you are selling/buying/aquaculturing/collecting any saltwater products in Florida.....some of the licenses you may need...

Aquaculture Certificate $100
wholesale license $400 and up depending on locations/sold/used
retail license $75
SPL $175 now I think
Tax ID number
and also may be specific city licenses like Tampa $200
Business license
Fishing license

May be more required and cost more...they seem to go up regularly...

and if you want to collect more that the 20 specimens a day allowed on a fishing license <read the rules>you will need an MLD which are market price $25-75 thousand....each....under moratorium..

I believe everyone's accounts but I will say I scoured the FWC site and could not find any information or license requirements to Purchase|Sell|Trade|Barter
Coral for Personal or Recreational use

The Dept of Agriculture, not the FWC, is reponsible for Aquaculture certificates so that might be a better place to start.

Many threads on this issue

If you are selling/buying/aquaculturing/collecting any saltwater products in Florida.....some of the licenses you may need...

Aquaculture Certificate $100
wholesale license $400 and up depending on locations/sold/used
retail license $75
SPL $175 now I think
Tax ID number
and also may be specific city licenses like Tampa $200
Business license
Fishing license

May be more required and cost more...they seem to go up regularly...

and if you want to collect more that the 20 specimens a day allowed on a fishing license <read the rules>you will need an MLD which are market price $25-75 thousand....each....under moratorium..

You shouldn't need a Saltwater Products License to sell aquacultured product.

From the FWC:

The holder of an aquaculture certificate is not required to purchase and possess a FWC commercial freshwater fishing/dealers license or saltwater products license in order to possess, transport, or sell marine aquaculture products.

Wow. This is getting crazy. It seems like soon we won't be able to simply frag corals that have overgrown our tanks and sell them without jumping through a bunch of hoops on fire.

This is sad because I know many people who are not looking to start a business, but rather get rid of some frags of corals they are lucky enough to have growing great in their tanks.

Oh well, I guess it will be easier to just throw frags in the trash than sell them. Makes little sense to me, but I'm not a government official.

Do you need a license to just give frags away? I only ask because my dad was tossing around the idea of keeping baitfish and shrimp and was told he only needed a license if he was to sell, same way you don't need a liquor license if you're just giving it away.

I can see this heading unground quickly. If they, FWC, is clamping down on someone wanting to sell a $5 frag from their tank and expend state resources to do so, you guys have a serious problem!

:sad2:

Back