Fwc

The reason for registration is not to keep you down or make you feel bad or to take your hard earned money. There are many shady people in the world with what seems to be a large concentration in Florida.
Registering allows an inspector to visit where you are culturing corals and make sure you are being responsible and obeying laws. Protecting endangered species.

It is easy for many people in Florida to take a boat out and collect protected species and ship them all over the country. $75 a year for this service seems pretty reasonable.

It takes many more licenses to collect and sell and ship saltwater products...be aware... I WISH it was only $75 LOL...

Stores are ****ed for sure that people are selling frags from their house. Not paying taxes most of the time. It 100% is putting them out of business. Sure they still make some money but not enough anymore. Not everyone has been around as long as some of the old heads but stores used to be jam packed with corals. Wall to wall and all racks full. I would say there might be 25 to 50% of the livestock most stores used to carry and it is dwindling.

Yeah I didn't state that correctly. $75/100 fee for them to come to your home/facility to make sure you aren't selling protected species.
The easy part was not meant legally. I meant illegally it is easy until you get caught. ;-)

You need to be certified for aquaculture to frag and sell.

So... I'm guessing you have them both. If you don't mind me asking Rob.

How do you go about getting certified on aquaculture in order to frag in your home?
How much does that certification cost?
Where do you get it?

As a follow up. Is this the Aquaculture form you need to be able to frag corals? This one is $100.00 just FYI for those interested and asking for links.

http://forms.freshfromflorida.com/15106.pdf

and I'm guessing you need a separate form for the FWC

"to come to your home/facility to make sure you aren't selling protected species."

and this one is the $75.00 one?

From what I was told at the phone number I listed above the FWC isn't for fragging it is for buying and selling. The aquaculture is for fragging. All the paperwork says for business's only but I was told your name is good since it is a hobby at our home.
I do not have this yet but this July I will. I do not have frags right now to sell so I am good. Just prepared for it.

From what I was told at the phone number I listed above the FWC isn't for fragging it is for buying and selling. The aquaculture is for fragging. All the paperwork says for business's only but I was told your name is good since it is a hobby at our home.
I do not have this yet but this July I will. I do not have frags right now to sell so I am good. Just prepared for it.

Little clarification....

An aquaculture certificate allows you to aquaculture and sell, what you are aquaculturing, be it clams/oysters/corals ect. and they are specific permits.....if you want to aquaculture corals, on the application you indicate that...then when you get your certificate, it will say coral aquaculture.....same applies to clams/oysters and any other product sanctioned by the state for aquaculture.

There is no $75 permit for selling......that may be a fee now they charge as they will come to your facility and inspect it for BMP, best management practices, which they will check and make sure you are following what has to be done for that activity, but back in the day there was no charge for that, and that may have changed.

If you want to sell saltwater products other than what you are aquaculturing and listed on the certificate... it is a whole new ball game with many permits required.

No, you are right. No $75 fee. It is $100. Not sure when they started this charging or if they have raised the cost or not but to me it is very understandable since it costs money to send someone around to inspect a facility/home.

I asked all the questions I could think of explaining I am only going to be trimming the pieces that are over growing my tank and I either throw them away or charge $10 to try to recoup some operational costs. I said do I really need the certificate to do that and she said yes. If you are breeding, aquaculturing or fragging then we are required to be certified. If we give our frags away for free we do not have to be certified.

This will only keep the honest people honest. If you are not honest you will not do this and keep going about business as usual. Not my words but I believe it to be true.

Hey Rob just wondering does that giving away for free also follow trading like to a LFS for store credit? So no license needed

Sorry snake, I did not ask that question.
It was made clear that growing, fragging and selling for profit was regulated. In my mind I assume trading is profitting.

Sorry snake, I did not ask that question.
It was made clear that growing, fragging and selling for profit was regulated. In my mind I assume trading is profitting.

So if we want to trade we will have to both say we are giving our corals away free ....I wonder if a LFS would want to take my free corals and I can walk out of the store with free merchandise like salt or fish food or fish?:wavehand:

Lol Like I said, it will only keep honest people honest. The Department of Agriculture will not be coming after you but the FWC will. :)
There are so many snitches these days I figure its safer to just do things the right way.

Back