Fwc

FS: bag of doritos $10, comes with free orange digi frag LOL

ROFL. This is awesome

My posts will be more like this. "FS: Plastic bag, full of water. $10.00., but wait... If you come in the next 10 minutes, you get a free Coral frag with your purchase."

You shouldn't need a Saltwater Products License to sell aquacultured product.

From the FWC:

The holder of an aquaculture certificate is not required to purchase and possess a FWC commercial freshwater fishing/dealers license or saltwater products license in order to possess, transport, or sell marine aquaculture products.

you may need...

from original post....

Regulations are everywhere. And if the goverment can make money some way some how im sure they will. I agree with everyone that them potentially fining the little guy for selling fragments of corals instead of simply tossing them in the trash is stupid. I think the fwc would have much larger concerns at hand than a guy with a 120g fish tank passing out 1" corals for frends for a meer charge of 10-20$. And its not like thats even a profit for us, that money would most likely go towards fish food, di resin, more corals etc. When the time comes that my corals are in need of trimming back they will be listed as free. I myself am a fan in paying it forward and i really like helping others out. But for others, there are always loopholes lol

Great point. If the local stores are upset about hobbyists selling grow out, they're really gonna lose business when everyone starts giving it away.

Or the fun police can ruin it for everyone like they do with everything and then we all quit owning tanks because of the bull then the LFS close because there no business and those locations can be filled with vapor lounges and such...seems like a great idea....I'll sell my $2000.00 a year maybe more I don't keep receipts , hobby and go on more vacations instead ....the girlfriend is smiling right now

Or the fun police can ruin it for everyone like they do with everything and then we all quit owning tanks because of the bull then the LFS close because there no business and those locations can be filled with vapor lounges and such...seems like a great idea....I'll sell my $2000.00 a year maybe more I don't keep receipts , hobby and go on more vacations instead ....the girlfriend is smiling right now
What's a vacation lol

I knew I should have never bought a tank 10yrs ago. Just do it they said. It's so much fun and everyone's doing it they said.....

Like it was said best. People are growing out their own coral and selling it instead of getting the coral from a natural reef. It seems like even our efforts to keep the hobby sustainable are in vein. Bottom line. If you are a individual that sells alot of frags, to where it would be an actual income, you should have the proper documentation etc. If you are just trying to get some extra frags moved out of your 60 gallon tank, there shouldn't be problems. Its alright they probably feel the need to be on a power trip, so they need something to keep them busy.

I have been registed with the FWC for the last few years since I have been educated on the topic.

From my understanding, Florida is the only state required to do this.

Last edited:
I have been registed with the FWC for the last few years since I have been educated on the topic.

From my understanding, Florida is the only state required to do this.

Well.... this makes it even worse. Why are we Floridians being punished for owning corals and being good at growing them in our tanks and trying to save our natural reefs?

I think someone needs to file a lawsuit against them. Why is this only happening here? We are not the only ones with a coast.

Don't get me wrong, if their requirements were a single permit for growing them in your home and selling them to other hobbyist for maybe $75 period, not per year or any of that crap, I would have no problem.

However, it seems like you will need to spend close to $700 a year just to sell $50.00 worth of corals. That makes no sense.

I really wish someone official from the FWC would create an account here on this forum and come to a rational discussion, but chances of that happening are slim. Oh well... that was my vent for the week.

Have a great day guys. I hope I can stay in this hobby for a few more months without getting in trouble.

FWC is having a local meeting November 16-17, 2016, St. Petersburg.

Time: 8:30am
Dates: November 16 - 17, 2016
Place: St. Petersburg
This meeting is open to the public

All interested individuals may speak at workshops or meetings of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Commission) within the guidelines established by the Commission. To ensure the public's opportunity to be heard and the orderly conduct of the meeting, the Chairman reserves the right to establish a time for adjournment of the workshop or meeting, to limit the time for speakers, and to limit the time allotted for specific agenda items.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, any person requiring special accommodations to participate in this meeting should notify the agency at least five calendar days before the meeting by calling 850-488-6411. Contact the agency using the Florida Relay Service at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or 800-955-8770 (voice) if you are hearing or speech impaired.
Agenda items listed under headings other than “Items Requiring Action” may be re-ordered or moved by the Chairman to different days of the meeting to accommodate scheduling issues.
The meeting may include fact-finding field trips to Commission-managed areas or facilities; or to other areas to learn about management, and enforcement activities.
Typically, the Chairman may ask staff and the public to work through lunch on either day. Please plan accordingly.
If any person decides to challenge any decision with respect to any matter considered at the meeting, he or she may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which includes testimony and evidence upon which the challenge is based.

Well.... this makes it even worse. Why are we Floridians being punished for owning corals and being good at growing them in our tanks and trying to save our natural reefs?

I think someone needs to file a lawsuit against them. Why is this only happening here? We are not the only ones with a coast.

Don't get me wrong, if their requirements were a single permit for growing them in your home and selling them to other hobbyist for maybe $75 period, not per year or any of that crap, I would have no problem.

However, it seems like you will need to spend close to $700 a year just to sell $50.00 worth of corals. That makes no sense.

I really wish someone official from the FWC would create an account here on this forum and come to a rational discussion, but chances of that happening are slim. Oh well... that was my vent for the week.

Have a great day guys. I hope I can stay in this hobby for a few more months without getting in trouble.

Florida is the only state because we are the only state where natural reefs exist and the organisms in our tank could be released and survive in our waters.
And the government wants it's cut of our hobby

Florida is the only state because we are the only state where natural reefs exist and the organisms in our tank could be released and survive in our waters.
And the government wants it's cut of our hobby

I was under the impression that Texas had a few banks too, but I may be remembering this wrong. Either way, I think your second point brings it to a close. They want more money. Problem solved. :)

It could be worse, you can't even keep corals in Hawaii.
Ive actually contacted a fish store in hawaii back when i was gonna make my bedroom tank a hawaiian tank. They had corals, he said most of them were zoas, very very few sps and lps (imported). But he said zoas (named ones) fetch more in Hawaii than here in the states. And hawaiian zoas are a few bucks for a colony there but sell for alot here. I believe he said zoas are the only coral thats allowed to be collected and only in certain areas in hawaii (he didnt get into much detail on it). He was gonna ship me a bunch of different hawaiian zoas for fairly cheap. But i ended up going a different direction with the tank.

Back