Garage frag system build

well this was my setup abound a year ago i got really bust with work and life gut in the way a bit so i got rid of it (big mistake)

but now i set this up and it has been up for about 3 months and is doing pretty good

It is currently in waterfall-only mode so i can keep track of my evaporation and water level.
I want to put an auto-topoff on there, but i don't think the repetitive surge would play well with a float switch.

If you come up with an ingenious idea let me know. I was going to run surge buckets but have the same issue.

Only thing anyone has ever been able to tell me is calculate it and top off based on that and keep an eye on it.

At one point I poised a question over in the Reef Chemisty section about using a salinity/conductivity probe off of an Apex to measure and feed RO/DI. IRC Randy was concerned about the accuracy of the salinity/conductivity probe drifting and providing innacurate results. So back to measuring/estimating gallons evaporated per day.

Was just talking to our controls engineer, and he suggested using a PLC to control via conductivity. However, it would cost $1000+ to do it correctly (the required precision drives the cost way up.) Also, periodic calibration would need to be performed (similar to a pH controller)

He seems to think that a dual-float switch setup with 2 relays would work. Basically, the low is set at the minimum level to turn the pump on when it drops below, and latches. The second switch kills the power to the pump. This will prevent pump/relay chatter. I got an estimated lifecycle of 2-3 years on the sensors if used this way. Float switches are <$10, and relays are pretty cheap, so I think I will give it a shot. Worst case: I have an auto-topoff that I can sell to a friend or LFS, and make back the $ spent.

How do you do ATO? from a pre filled container or directly from a RODI unit?

If from a pre filled container, you could turn off the surge pump, say twice a day for a period of time to allow your ATO to capture any adjustment that is needed.

I might've missed the part about you adding a solid dehumidifier in that garage. Forgive me if I did. I ran 10X the volume in hydroponics systems ( a garage) than I ever have in saltwater tanks, and I absolutely critically needed my Santa Fe Impact dehum running 24/7 to keep it out of the "mold red line." I live at the beach so its fairly humid year round already.
Killer system btw and I wish you luck

I will use a pre-filled container that will hold ~3 days worth of RO water. I have the 300g tote for RO, so pumping over ~30g twice a week wont be an issue. Also, filling directly from an endless supply of RO water terrifies me... switches stick/solenoid sticks/ etc. I don't mind using a sacrificial $8 8gph pump.

I have a full-time job, and am a single parent of two toddlers... so automation, simplicity, and fail-safes are all important.

I had a controls-logic diagram on my desk this morning for how to do it (my coworkers rock!) Basically (if im understanding it correctly) you have the bottom one NO, and flipped upside down. The top float is NC, and right-side up.

The way it works, is if the level goes below the lower float, the pump turns on, and latches. Once the water level goes above the top switch, it shuts the pump off. The "latching" action is what will allow the bottom float to bounce without the pump chattering.

@Overgrown: I'm hoping that the laminar airflow through the garage will provide enough air exchange to keep humidity in check. I'm monitoring %RH, and there is no significant difference (so far) between outside and in. IIRC the red-line is 80% RH, which is (unfortunately) a normal day in the swamp.

I'll look into the Santa Fe Impact. I can see that being particularly useful for the few days that it does get cold, and the garage gets sealed (and the heaters possibly turn on :p)

I will use a pre-filled container that will hold ~3 days worth of RO water. I have the 300g tote for RO, so pumping over ~30g twice a week wont be an issue. Also, filling directly from an endless supply of RO water terrifies me... switches stick/solenoid sticks/ etc. I don't mind using a sacrificial $8 8gph pump.

I have a full-time job, and am a single parent of two toddlers... so automation, simplicity, and fail-safes are all important.

I had a controls-logic diagram on my desk this morning for how to do it (my coworkers rock!) Basically (if im understanding it correctly) you have the bottom one NO, and flipped upside down. The top float is NC, and right-side up.

The way it works, is if the level goes below the lower float, the pump turns on, and latches. Once the water level goes above the top switch, it shuts the pump off. The "latching" action is what will allow the bottom float to bounce without the pump chattering.

@Overgrown: I'm hoping that the laminar airflow through the garage will provide enough air exchange to keep humidity in check. I'm monitoring %RH, and there is no significant difference (so far) between outside and in. IIRC the red-line is 80% RH, which is (unfortunately) a normal day in the swamp.

I'll look into the Santa Fe Impact. I can see that being particularly useful for the few days that it does get cold, and the garage gets sealed (and the heaters possibly turn on :p)

To be fair, the vegetation/ garden itself in my application contributed to the RH as well, aside from my reservoirs.. Probably significantly. Maybe you'll be alright, but as someone pointed out, all that evap is going somewhere. Look into the Santa Fe line, they're extremely efficient. Maybe a used or refurb.
Looking forward to how this thing progresses.

Heard storing RO water can cause phosphates to leach while saltwater will not. If you know of this issue :thumbsup: if not check it out if I find the thread I will link it. Good luck!

Heard storing RO water can cause phosphates to leach while saltwater will not. If you know of this issue :thumbsup: if not check it out if I find the thread I will link it. Good luck!

Interesting... probably has a lot to do with the type of plastic used... Because it would have to leach FROM something. The polypropylene totes are food grade, so I don't think they will. If you find that thread, I'd be interested in reading it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

psqkPtvh.jpg

Air intake

lt4uiRIh.jpg

Version 2. The amount of air that these things move is surprising. I can actually feel a breeze from under the garage door.

RgMoJjvh.jpg

Insulated the closest two tanks. From an energy-standpoint this made much more sense than ducting/manifolded exhaust fans. The chiller is oversized anyways, so adding a bit of additional load isn't a big deal. An added benefit, is that the laminar airflow in the garage pulls away heat from the LEDs, making them run cooler, as well as cooling the whole garage. I did notice a small increase in evaporation (more significant if i run the fans overnight)

rEvxEOFh.jpg

Showing chiller, insulated tanks, and exhaust.

DjPLJCRh.jpg

Need to be cut (again)

WujyHyzh.jpg

Chop chop!

Po1jPn5h.jpg

I put the saw in a tub, and put the drain on the tub. Should help keep the mess down.

qrKInknh.jpg

Microalgae cultures coming up - Dunaliella Salina

ClEQdJ9h.jpg

Rotifers soon! Once the microalgae is in full-swing, the live-feed dosing will come online.

Back