Garage frag system build

Updates as well, but this is epic... If I decided to do this I wouldn't do it for the propagtion I would do it for divorce papers because I know they would be coming.. haha

Updates as well, but this is epic... If I decided to do this I wouldn't do it for the propagtion I would do it for divorce papers because I know they would be coming.. haha

HAHA! Mine got started after the divorce was final. For good measure, her walk-in closet has become the phytoplankton lab.

As for updates,

I had a bit of an issue about a week ago... floated some corals, and one of the bags plugged the overflow.... unbeknownst to me while i was in the house. I walked outside to take out the trash, and saw water flowing out from under the garage door. Uh-oh.

Ran inside, to find the garage full of smoke - turns out the tank overflowed onto the 220V pump, and (being conductive saltwater) caused the wires to arc/melt/FUBAR.

So emergency trip at 8pm to the big orange box to get a sprinkler pump, and some fittings. Luckily, when I plumbed it to begin with, i had a union fetish, so pump replacement should be simple, right?

Turns out, the new pump was about 3" taller than the old pump, which would require either ridiculous plumbing (with the resulting head loss), or raising the chiller. Unfortunately, by the time i realized this, the kids were in bed, and the orange box was closed. I did manage to plumb the pump in late at night, in order to get flow, but was unable to hook the chiller up (Extra fittings from old projects can be lifesavers!).

So I have more flow than before, due to a larger pump. Good. No chiller, but the plan is to plumb the chiller in, and raise it up with concrete blocks when i get home from work.

Apparently, that was a mistake, because when i got home, the water temp was 88F :headwalls:

So had some loss, and working through recovery.

On a positive note, both phytoplankton, (dunaliella salina) and rotifer cultures are up and kicking! I'm kicking around the idea of adding haematococcus pluvialis, and zooxanthellae cultures, but until i have a significant amount of corals to feed, mono-species phyto will work. Dunaliella has a high fat content, (~37%) so the rotifers should be fat and happy.

Any updates on the led and coral growth? Also how to the led's seem to be holding up?
I'm in the planning stage for something like this. Would you have done something different with the lighting and or tank designs.

Also your setup is amazing!!! Keep up the good work!

vent_fan-5_zps9626d249.jpg

I like this vent job and some of the following ones. BTW, I like your signature about the "OUR" tank business. It is great to share problems and solutions. I have learned so very much on this forum.

Back