Gargle Gargle...

adamhill

I have been out of the hobby for a few years and I am taking a stab at plumbing a tank. It is an 80 (48X19) gallon with a blueline hd-30x pump that runs about 1100 gph with no pressure running one inch pipe all the way to the (2) 3/4 sea swirls and reduced right at the fitting. I got it all of the plumbing, skimmer, sea swirls, pump, drains, and everything set up last night and flipped the switch and thankfully first try I had no leaks! WOOOO! Here is the problem though. The overflow box is taking water directly into the pipes and it making an awfull gargling, sucking, spiting, burping sound that will not be tolerable by the wife or anyone else on my street. I have a standard corner overflow that the LFS built in before I bought it. It is kind of small. I have (2) one inch holes with the pipes about 75% up the overflow cut on an angle with a notch cut in it for air to flow.

What else can I do to stop the noise. Can I raise the pipes? My buddy said no... Do I build or buy a Durso (sp.)? Any other ideas would be great.

Do you see anything that needs to change before I go further?

Did I screw something up?

HELP! I am anxious to move forward...

do a search for standpipe and see if you can squeeze one in the overflow box, personally i think your pump is way overkill and that could also be part of the problem.

Biecacka, Do you mean like, expand at the top only??? To what size?

Cgrant, I was afraid of that myself. I figured over time I could get by with just the swirls doing all of the movement because i hate stuff in the tank and just live with the flow until it naturally restricted because of growth and slowed down due to slime/sludge.

Moondoggy... Thanks for the link, I will check it out. i have read about the Durso.. and will learn more about them asap.

I talked to a guy at the LFS today and he recomended putting a "t" fitting on sideways to allow air to flow but I am afraid that the flow will still shot straight down the pipe still... Anyone use a setup like that?

check into the durso 1st, if that fixes it the maybe build a manifold and send some of that water to like a squid or closed loop

Thanks!

I went to the site and learned a lot. He explains how to make one but warns of using more that one in a single overflow. Does anyone have a diagram of a Durso that they could post or send me a link to? What are your opinions about having two of them in the same overflow? Has anyone got that set up running successfully that could give me advice?

Back