Gate valve mod causing massive microbubbles on ASM G-4X

xtrstangx

Premium Member
I have everything hooked up on my ASM G-4X. The skimmer is standard, except I added the gate valve mod.. looks exactly like this:
mod1a.jpg

I tried extending the pipe below the water level from .5" to 8" and nothing.

Should I add a 45Ã"šÃ‚º to direct the flow from the pump inside the skimmer so that only the top 3/4" has air? Right now the entire skimmer is FULL of bubbles (solid white throughout the entire thing)

If the output of the skimmer is in the same compartment of the sump as your return pump is it could be a problem. Let the skimmer run for a day or two and see if the skimmer coats over and the micro-bubbles stop. If not, then modify the output so that it goes into a section of the sump seperated from the one that the return pump is in by propper baffles or by some sponge.

Was it that way without the mod? The bottom of the skimmer should not be full of bubbles. That is where the skimmers output is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8072512#post8072512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Was it that way without the mod? The bottom of the skimmer should not be full of bubbles. That is where the skimmers output is.

I bought it used and they included the pieces for the gate valve, not the original tube + sponge.

Hammercoral: I tried submerging the end from .5" below the water to 7" below the water, no change in bubbles. Should I try have it above the water level? Wouldn't that be even more splashing/bubbles?

Avi: Not the same section, but there is so many bubbles that the bubble trap cannot get them all. It has about 10" to disappate and then a over/under/over baffle setup. The baffles are spaced at 1.75" (18" long) and I'm only running 800 GPH through them so I don't see why this is happening.

Also I forgot to add this.

I bought the skimmer used from a guy and used it for a few weeks to cook some rock.

After those few weeks, I ran it in an acid cleaning mixture (1 pt muriatic to 10 pt water)..

Since then, its been sitting around in the basement. Is this just the skimmer breaking in?

Below is a pic of a Deltec. Note how the bubbles dont go all the way to the bottom. That is so the skimmer doesn't send microbubbles out of the output. You need to have your ASM running the same way. Try putting an air valve on it and turn the air down a bit.

112322902_Body.jpg

Yes. I would also let it run awhile. Maybe it is just a break in issue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8073418#post8073418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Nice Deltec!
Yeah. Not mine. That monster is an AP902. I run a little AP600.

Back