Getting a new camera. DSLR vs CSC

Fishy 1

The Reefer From Downunder
Ok so I've decided that it is time for me to get a decent camera for my photography. But trying to decide between a DSLR or a CSC is doing my head in. The cameras I've got my eye on are the Nikon D5200 and the Olympus OM-D E-M10. I've seen tempting twin lens bundles for both very similar prices.

D5200: [URL]http://www.harveynorman.com.au...a-with-18-55mm-55-200mm-vr-twin-lens-kit.html[/URL]

OMD E-M10: [URL]http://www.camerahouse.com.au/...50mm-Lenses-Silver-Compact-System-Camera.aspx[/URL]

I want to shoot macro, street, wildlife and landscapes. I'm leaning towards the OMD at the moment as I think it would do what I want to do and my dad has a E-M5 that he's very happy with, yes I know its got some extra specs over the E-M10 but for the price tag I think its a good option. I'm just not sure if I want the extra stuff that dslr's have. So what do you guys think I should do?

I have a DSLR and love it. I've never used a Oly. Try your dad's Oly' then find a DSLR to try. See what's comfortable. See how menus are for "YOU". No one else can say what you will like.

Thanks Jesse:). I do really like my dad's Oly and it takes great photos, but I also like the Nikon. The Oly's got more direct control over the aperture, sensitivity etc than the Nikon. But I don't know if I'll get better photos and have more control over settings with a DSLR rather than a Compact Systems Camera. I can get an Oly with two Olympus lenses for 900 and I can get the Nikon with two lenses for 1000. Decisions, decisions:headwally:

Ok an update on the camera situation. I went to my favorite camera shop after work (thank god for Thursday late night shopping) to have a look and play with some different cameras. He showed me the OMD 10 and instantly knew that it didn't suit me, it was just to small for my hands and wasn't comfortable at all to hold. He got a canon 700d to try as he didn't have a Nikon d5200 to show me (the d5500 is the new one they carry) and it just felt uncomfortable, plasticy and cheap. So I asked about the pentax range and showed me a K-50 and as soon as I picked it up I knew that this would possibly be the one that i would buy. It felt solid and was super comfortable to hold. He had put a single lens kit together and that was the one I tried, it includes a 17 - 70mm (from memory) sigma with a retail value of $700, he's selling the kit for $999 so that's seems to be a pretty good deal. I asked if he could put it on hold for me while I did some research just to make sure that it is what I'm after. The reviews of this camera are pretty good and its a very underrated camera. I really like the fact that its weather resistant too. So what do you think?

Back