I'll be getting a new camera in a few days

Dkuhlmann

I found this little jewel in the for sale section and paid for it today and it will be shipped tomorrow USPS priority. :dance:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi400D10.1-Camera17-85mm Canon Zoom/Macro Lens

Any advice or pointers about shooting in RAW I'd appreciate or even if you can point me to some threads about using this type of camera and shooting with the macro lens.

Thanks and I can hardly wait to start doing some great pictures of my corals and fish. :dance: :cool:

So I got my new camera a Canon EOS Rebel XTi 400D Yesterday. Love it and its in brand new condition. I had to go get a data cable for it as one didn't come with it, but here are a few of my first pictures with it by hand. Yes I'm going to go shopping and get a tripod probably tomorrow.

This is with no editing just straight from the camera. I'm so glad the color is right and this is in JPEG. I'll get the tripod before taking any more pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

View attachment 348026

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

Yay camera! And Canon too, not that "other brand". ;)

Just so you know, if you're looking at jpgs, the white balancing was done in camera. Newer cameras can often handle lights up to 10,000K but beyond that shooting in RAW and setting the white balance during post is the way to go, IMHO.

RAW mode also allows wonderful non destructive editing of images. Once you get the hang of it, you will want to shoot everything RAW.

Your current setup is capable of better image quality. Make sure you're shooting straight through the glass. Some of your tank shots have a bit of a looking down perspective.

If these are shot with auto exposure, try switching over to Tv mode (not television - shutter priority, as opposed to Av, aperture priority). In Tv mode you set the shutterspeed to use and the camera will determine the aperture and ISO to use for relatively decent exposure. My guess is that in auto exposure your camera is choosing too slow of a shutterspeed for you to hand hold and get a sharp shot. Reef tank lighting tends to be less intense than full sun outdoor lighting as far as the camera's ability to expose is concerned.

Once you have your tripod, you can explore much longer shutterspeeds on stationary subjects, which allows for either lower ISO (less noise) or smaller aperture (greater depth of field). Switch from Tv to Av so you set the aperture (depth of field), and the camera determines the shutterspeed and ISO. With a tripod, remote shutter release, stable subject and no water motion, I've taken sharp shots using shutterspeeds of several seconds, versus fractions of a second.

When you get comfortable with Av and Tv, then try full manual. It makes you think about what you're trying to achieve with the shot and gives you total control over the holy trinity of exposure (aperture, shutterspeed and ISO). Understanding how varying each element of the trinity affects the shot, and how to compensate for one with others, is where much of the creative control lies.

Thank you so much Reef Bass for the information, I really Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I've not taken any more pictures since that first day, I'm waiting on my goodies that will be here next week. They were shipped from NY yesterday USPS Priority so should be Tuesday they'll be here :dance: Then I'll start to play. I know about my angles to the glass on my tank and that's because I was leaning over and not straight on with the tank. Also the pumps are all on. So when the tripod gets here I'll be able to do much better. I'm also getting a remote release so that will help very much too!

I've got a few videos that I've started watching and understand what you mean by Tv and Av modes. I still don't fully understand ISO but will be in serious study mode next week. I found a lady that owns a photography studio and does give classes once a year and it's sadly over with for this year. :( But she has agreed to meet with me for private classes for an hour here or there. She knows RAW as well as knows Lightroom Extremely well. Yay :D

Did you take a look at the lens kit I listed above? I'm getting several lens attachments to allow for wide angle and also closeups by attaching the lens adapters. It's my thinking that this will give me a lot more ability with the lens that I currently have without having to jump in and buy a bunch of lenses. Speaking of which what do you recommend? I have found websites that have great deals on used lenses which is the way that I'll go.

I want to do some wildlife photography outdoors of course and I'm thinking that I'll need something like a 75-300 zoom lens? Something like the two listed here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-75...3e53e4d&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=252342261352

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMRON-AF-7...3e53e4d&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=252342261352

Here is another Canon 75-300 that looks to be in excellent condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-E...3e53e4d&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=252342261352

Just thinking out loud and really need some recommendations to other lenses I should look at in addition to the one that came with my camera.

Thanks
David

Last edited:
Back