Getting rid of my bio balls, but am looking for personal experience for the BioCube?

I do tend to over complicate things (it is a facet of my personality) and I certainly waste tremendous amounts of time scouring the Internet for the best advice/ideas I can find. In all honesty, though, these tribulations keep me glued to this hobby; I am thirsty to learn more about the fascinating world of reefing!

Nitrates are down to 10, so I am thrilled. I still have about half the bio balls in the tank because when I remove them, it makes a very loud and obnoxious waterfall sound. So, I need to add the things I want to minimize the waterfall.

I guess I'll skip the skimmer for now; perhaps in the future I'll change my mind. My tank consists of 1 orange spotted goby, a tiger pistol shrimp, 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and some snails/hermits. I did not really attribute it to being a high-load, especially since I religiously perform water changes every Friday and haven't skipped a Friday in 8 months. (The amount I change depends on my nitrate readings, anywhere from 10-25%.)

nynick, I haven't really considered that. I suppose that was why I considered the chaeto because I had heard it had a natural propensity to consume organics. Sadly, I tried keeping a pulsating xenia and it died within a week. The xenia and a torch coral are the only corals that haven't survived. Not sure why, as I've heard everyone say xenia was so easy. Apparently, not for me. :D

Again, I thank everyone for their input. If anyone cares to answer one last question, since I really would love to have chaeto (also because my pod population died out months ago), should I invest in one of those fancy BioCube fuge/media basket things? Or should I just stack them on top of each other in chamber 2?

Thanks again!

Xenia is a mystery coral. In some tanks they grow out of control and in others they just wither and die. It seems to be at least somewhat related to stable, high ph and alk but even that doesn't explain everything.

Back