GFCI outlet?

yraveh

Hi everyone.

i wonder if it is recommended to use GFCI receptacle for the aquarium.
Pro- safer
Cons - likely to shut off, if that occurs while you are away on vacation , the person feeding the fish for you may not know/want to tackle the problem or reset the receptacle.

what's your suggestion.

I wouldn't plug anything related to my aquarium into anything but a GFCI protected outlet!

Train the care taker about how easy they are to reset.

Your going to get answers either way. Some will say always, and some will say just on the high draw equipment, but a return pump or circulation pump on a standard outlet.

I have 2 independent gfci outlets on our 180g, with a UPS to keep lights/circulation on during generator tests.

Then lights, power heads and some heaters on one, return pump, more heat and accessories on the other gfci.

Our old lights were tripping the circuit so I had the second one added for some redundancy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have 2 independent gfci outlets on our 180g, with a UPS to keep lights/circulation on during generator tests.

Then lights, power heads and some heaters on one, return pump, more heat and accessories on the other gfci.

Our old lights were tripping the circuit so I had the second one added for some redundancy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You shouldn't have 2 GFCI on the same circuit. They fight each other.

I see it as a matter of your safety all the time, vs the fish part of the time.

If you spill water around your outlet from the tank (which I do all the time) and you don't have the GFCI, then you can get electrocuted. That's what they prevent and why they are required in kitchens and bathrooms.

Just make sure your power strip doesn't also have surge suppression, that can cause issues.

Here is my thread about RCD,GFCI with plenty of informations .http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24769214 Better install one powerfull enough as the main circuit breaker on the entire house like i did (or the floor with aquarium if its a big house).You eliminate the risk of electric shock on the entire house that way not only to the socket where you have your aquarium conected.Always use GFCI because the pumps and heaters for aquarium these days arent made with grounding wire.They have just 2 wire socket and in case of a failure the GFCI can save your life.Saltwater is good electricity conductor,you will use a lot of electrical gadgets like lamp,pumps ,heater ,etc suposedly for a verry long time and in a corosive enviroment.The GFCI could save your life or your family.

You shouldn't have 2 GFCI on the same circuit. They fight each other.

They dont fight .I have 2 GFCI(its called RCD here in europe),one of 300ma And the otther 10 mA sensitivity.Both on the main circuit that feeds the house.The 300 one doesnt protects your life because human body is toasted at more than 50 mA so ive installed the 10 mA GFCI after the 300 one.

Back