GFO Reactor Flow

CoralsAddiction

Hope everyone is off to a good start this Labor Day weekend.
I've recently switched from carbon to GFO and wanted to get opinions on flow.
I am posting a video below. Is it enough flow for GFO media?
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3CgAzE424og?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

sxaR7vb.jpg

GFO should tumble as if you have water at a low boil. It looks okay but it doesn't look like there is even flow. Only the left side seems to be jumping around.

GFO should tumble as if you have water at a low boil. It looks okay but it doesn't look like there is even flow. Only the left side seems to be jumping around.

Looks like I may need a stronger pump. Current one puts out about 125-130 gph. Might have to go with a 200 gph pump.

I'm new to the rust reactors. I setup a BRS unit last week, had pretty good tumbling going on for about 5 day's, then it just stopped. I opened up the flow all the way but still no tumbling.
Does that mean the media is exhausted?

OP, I thought this was topic related, Pardon me if its out of line.

I'm new to the rust reactors. I setup a BRS unit last week, had pretty good tumbling going on for about 5 day's, then it just stopped. I opened up the flow all the way but still no tumbling.
Does that mean the media is exhausted?

OP, I thought this was topic related, Pardon me if its out of line.

No, it just means your reactor is clogged and not enough flow is going through it. You can only tell that your gfo is exhaust by either seeing increase algae growth in your tank or testing the effluent from the reactor.

Tumbling on one side is, IMHO OK. If you watch the media and it rises from the bottom then something has to go to the bottom to replace it, therefore the media is moving around.

Since hair algae was out of control, I am in the process of completely emptying the tank and starting everything from scratch. I cleaned live rock with a toothbrush and moved all of it to a holding tank. My livestock is in the holding tank as well till I reset the main tank. It's been a PIA to say the least, what a waste of a Saturday. Lol

If it goes to fast the GFO will dicintigrate

If it goes too slow, it will clump up

I like to set it so there's a few grains just dancing on the surface of the rest.

Back