giant pacific octopus

candidpets

Was just curious this has been bugging me a long long time, i work in an aquarium and we have a honey comb moray very powerful fish, its in with great barracudas and bosses them around, killed a grouper and its only a baby still like 4 feet max!

Would an adult of these species prey on a giant octopus? Is there any moray that would? OR Conger? just curious?

i was curious about the wild also

I never get to read much on conger eel or seen them in live aquaria but htey are suppose to be the largest eel and have a diet like a moray with same powerful jaws

the sf aquarium told me they lost their giant p octopus to something called a cowfish which shocked me

Eels and sharks prey on each other as do octopuses and eels. Sometimes it comes down to who has the size or ambush advantage.

I caught a monkey faced eel poke poling and had a baby GPO attack it while I was landing it and brought them both out of the water. Based on that experience coupled with all the videos of octopuses eating sharks and sharks eating eels I apologize and now realize I must have assumed and not actually seen an octo successfuly attack and kill a heathly eel.
My bad.

Just got done watching an episode of River Monsters and they were talking about this, It was at the Seattle Aquarium and they couldn't figure out whyat was happening to the sharks. They say the GPOs can reach over 300 lbs and over 25 ft in diameter and if they would go after humans.

They also had a show on the Humboldt Squid when they are in a feeding frenzy are very aggressive and hunt in packs like wolves. The fishermen in Peru call them The Red Devil

I've seen the resident octopi on many visits. It's my impression they keep them a while and then turn them out to reproduce and demise, as they do. The first one I saw there was IMHO the biggest.

Id never put an octopus and eel in the same tank again after my last experience. One by one the eel ate every tentacle until the octopus was just a head.

Back