Ginger works with ich... Every time I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't prove anything I and many others don't qt and can put a fish with ich directly into the DT and not have it reappear all without any treatment what so ever.

And that is one the biggest problem for us non-scientists to experiment with ich and treatments.

Tank transfer works. We know this because multiple tank transfers is a method used to cure ich. One or two tank transfers can push the infection back under the threshold the fish can manage naturally. So simply moving them to a new tank is a potential treatment, making any results from a treatment done immediately after moving the fish to a new tank extremely difficult to judge.

Interesting. I might go to petco's dollar sale and buy some freshwater fish to try this out on and see if it will work.

Interesting. I might go to petco's dollar sale and buy some freshwater fish to try this out on and see if it will work.

Freshwater Ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) and Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) are two completely different types of parasites. If you are going to try this experiment, buy a damsel as they are cheap and let us know how it goes? I'm very interested in this and tagging along to see how this turns out.

First off, I would never advise anyone to buy an infected fish to throw into their main display as a test. That's rediculous. I will advise someone who has ich by chance to try this. It's worked for me on every fish, multiple times, multiple tanks. Before this method I've lost fish to ich. I'm 3 for 3 on this and it's fast results. Like 24-36 hours max. If you have a dis on its side ginger isn't Jesus. But if you've got healthy fish with ich it will probably help.

Correlation does not equal causation, very important tid bit to remember. My money is on this being coincidence, like garlic curing ich. The white spots of an infection can go away in a short period of time, and can not appear again until something upsets the balance such as adding a new fish. The C. irritans parasites are likely going "dormant" and infecting areas of the fish you cannot see like the gills and the population of this organism is just maintaining itself. When you add a new fish, the new fish as well as the established fish get stressed leaving them open to a stronger infection which shows up on the body as white spots.

I couldn't tell you. I'm not a scientist. I can only base my conclusions on my personal experiences. It doesn't really seem that far fetched. What are the signals that trigger ich to attacking fish and not glass or rock. It's quite possible something in ginger changes the signal. Why does ginger work on intestinAl parasites in humans? Who knows? All I can do is post what had and hasn't worked for me. One thing for sure. I have seen no negative effects which is equally important.

I am treating my fish for ich in DT. After a week of garlic extract and vitamins in the frozen food, I have visible improvements on the fish health. If the thing go wrong and infestation reappears I will definitely try ginger and will tell you the result.

I am in the third day of mixing frozen food with garlic extract, ginger powder and metro. My tang is clean of every ich spots. Miracle?

I am in the third day of mixing frozen food with garlic extract, ginger powder and metro. My tang is clean of every ich spots. Miracle?

Your tank is most likely still infected, you just can't see it. Garlic might also be bad for fish, I'd use it only for fish that aren't eating.

I'm skeptical but still find this very interesting. I'd love to test this on a fish in a QT environment, if someone could nail down a proper dosage.

Read about life cycle of ich ... It falls off of fish .... Goes through different cycles, and comes back.

For this to work, ginger would need to eradicate all of the theronts or free-swimming stage. Which is why a dosage per gals is needed, because the water itself needs to be treated. It's not enough to just kill the trophonts on the fish.

If a dose of ginger could kill the theronts, but not corals/inverts, then it would be akin to treating your DT w/ "reef safe copper". Same process - you'd need to treat w/ ginger for at least 1 month. Unless ginger was somehow capable of eradicating Crypto in all of it's life cycles - in which case it would work within perhaps 24-48 hours. But treating the entire tank - not just soaking food - would still be necessary.

Of course, all of this is highly theoretical and would require extensive testing to prove.

For this to work, ginger would need to eradicate all of the theronts or free-swimming stage. Which is why a dosage per gals is needed, because the water itself needs to be treated. It's not enough to just kill the trophonts on the fish.
I agree with most of what was said here, except this part. If had the capability to put the fish in a state where ich could not attach, there isn't a need to kill all stages of the life cycle, in that if the parasite can't attach, its the same scenario as fallowing a tank.
I've read plenty of claims for reef safe treatment, and for the most part, each one has been either disproved, or wasn't proved in the first place. I'm not saying it could or couldn't work... but keep in mind that your ability to judge whether or not you have ich is limited (until a heavy outbreak hits, at by the time that point hits, you are likely on your way to losing fish) and therefore, its going to be hard to prove much at all.
And in my opinion, proper prevention in 99% of cases will negate the need for a cure....

I'm not saying it could or couldn't work... but keep in mind that your ability to judge whether or not you have ich is limited (until a heavy outbreak hits, at by the time that point hits, you are likely on your way to losing fish) and therefore, its going to be hard to prove much at all.

A microscopic check of the gills multiple times post treatment would be required. But before it even got to the point where we're experimenting on fish, a scientist with a group of tomonts could experiment with ginger and see how it affects the theronts once released. See how it affects all the life cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back