Ginger works with ich... Every time I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you can keep them off the fish the parasite will die out. My personal experience is that if they survive the infestation and nothing new is added the parasite will die off. I had it in my 70 gallon so bad I am surprised I didn't lose all my fish, 2 years later they look great. Luck? Maybe! But I am looking for a infected fish to experiment with now I will post all water specs and set up how much ginger I use and we will see what happens.

But if you can keep them off the fish the parasite will die out. My personal experience is that if they survive the infestation and nothing new is added the parasite will die off. I had it in my 70 gallon so bad I am surprised I didn't lose all my fish, 2 years later they look great. Luck? Maybe! But I am looking for a infected fish to experiment with now I will post all water specs and set up how much ginger I use and we will see what happens.

sorry, but you are thinking of ICH, like its a large thing u can see in the tank ...

ICH attacks the Gill of fish, which we do not see... its covered.

what you are talking about, is "living with ICH" not "Curing ICH", and that is why so many are disagreeing with you.

Keeping your fish well fed, and keeping the water parameters in good range, and cleaning up the tank and .... will take care of Ich blooms, meaning you would not see an outbreak of it. that does not mean ICH is gone.

again, goto disease forum, there are alot of studies about life of ich.

Me personally ? I live with ICH ... I do not ever claim that I have cured ICh, but my tanks have never had an outbreak.

so wht that said, u should look into what ginger does for fish ... does it help its immune system, making it live with ich ? does Ginger effect Ich itself ? what are the downsides, on long term use ? does it hurt the fish's liver like ginger does ?

I have a 36 gallon tank that has been fallow for about 3 months and has some soft corals in it, I will find a Ich covered fish and try ginger powered and see what happens.

will you be cutting the fish open and inspecting it under microscope ?

do you know all life cycles of ich, its size and habit to look for it ?

will you be employing an marine biologist for the autopsy ?

or are you gonna go based on external and visible white spots ?

If this looks promising then yes to all the above, I have read everything I can get my hands on about Ich. I am fortunate to live live close to scrips institute of oceanography, it would be easy to get a biologist to help with this project. They have been very helpful in the past I want see it knock the spots off first and fish survive then I will take the next step, believe it or not I couldn't find a infected fish today. A doctor friend of mine also pointed out I need a control group, so this week end I am going set up and cycle another tank. Bring the criticism I can take lol

My opinion is even if it doesn't cure it, if it helps the fish fight back naturally and doesn't hurt my corals I would use it.

Tank size is 110. and 20 gallon sump.

I mixed some in with frozen mysis shrimp blocks that thawed out. Then refroze and fed like normal. I also sprinkle a little into the tank when I'm not feeding the mysis. All in all it doesn't take much. I only used for a couple days.

My opinion is even if it doesn't cure it, if it helps the fish fight back naturally and doesn't hurt my corals I would use it.

I can agree with that, and I too would use it too, if no damage to fish ...

its just the word "Cure" that we are sensitive about :)

Tank size is 110. and 20 gallon sump.

I mixed some in with frozen mysis shrimp blocks that thawed out. Then refroze and fed like normal. I also sprinkle a little into the tank when I'm not feeding the mysis. All in all it doesn't take much. I only used for a couple days.

This is why I'm skeptical that the ginger is causally linked to the eradication of the ich. By the time you noticed white spots, it is almost a statistical certainty that several tomonts had dropped off the fish and encysted on the substrate. For a couple days worth of ginger dosing to cure ich in a tank, it would need to destroy every single life cycle phase of the parasite, including the tomonts which next to 24 hours of drying or being plunged in to fresh water are practically invincible.

The complete ich life cycle is anywhere from 10 days to 3 months depending on how long the tomonts remain encysted. I'm skeptical that 2 days of dosing anything could successfully end an infestation, even if the treatment itself did have anti-parasitic properties.

A good test case to do after finding out "ginger cured ich"

1. Stop treating with ginger.
2. Stress the fish out for a few fays, possibly weeks. Dont feed it for days. Move things around the tank. Chase it with a net.
3. Observe the next few days or weeks to see ich returns

A good test case to do after finding out "ginger cured ich"

1. Stop treating with ginger.
2. Stress the fish out for a few fays, possibly weeks. Dont feed it for days. Move things around the tank. Chase it with a net.
3. Observe the next few days or weeks to see ich returns

No need to stress the fish like that. Just drop the temps 5 or more degrees in 5 minutes with a large water change using cold water. If you have a blue tang (hippo) or powder blue or powder brown tang in the tank, I can almost guarantee the fish will break out in it.

Never QT at all, and have never had ich. But it could be there from what I have read for some time now. Russian roulette I guess, according to some.

No need to stress the fish like that. Just drop the temps 5 or more degrees in 5 minutes with a large water change using cold water. If you have a blue tang (hippo) or powder blue or powder brown tang in the tank, I can almost guarantee the fish will break out in it.

I agree with that. A buddy has a powder blue that has outbeaks on a regular basis due to some stressors. Shakes it off and all good.

Never QT at all, and have never had ich. But it could be there from what I have read for some time now. Russian roulette I guess, according to some.

I never really QT either. In 20 years, I've only had one ich outbreak. It was the result of a large water change that dropped my temps too quick. Big mistake, the likes of which I will NEVER make again. My powder blue tang broke out within a day or two followed by 90% of my other fish. It was a complete disaster. With my tank, there was no way to capture the fish or treat the tank. I ended up loosing most of my fish as a result but my reef was spared. I tried a number of "reef safe" so called remedies and none worked. Fortunately, that was more than 3 years ago and it's never reappeared.

Well aware of that and that sucked. The fact that the tank was pretty well wiped out was bewildering to me. In the meantime your tank is well on the rebound and hope it stays that way.

My only concern is any noob reading this needs to understand what we are discussing is still just hypothetical. With all due respect to the OP, more anecdotal evidence and experimenting needs to be done before any of this should be taken seriously. In the meantime, noobs should continue to go fallow and use one of the "proven methods" to rid their tank of ich. Just my 2 cents...

My only concern is any noob reading this needs to understand what we are discussing is still just hypothetical. With all due respect to the OP, more anecdotal evidence and experimenting needs to be done before any of this should be taken seriously. In the meantime, noobs should continue to go fallow and use one of the "proven methods" to rid their tank of ich. Just my 2 cents...

I agree to some extent yes. Don't want the noobs to dump ginger in their tanks. Ich is one controversial subject for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back