Ginger works with ich... Every time I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tang named junkyard

I picked up a fish and most of the tank had ich. I dosed ginger powder and within a couple days ich is 100 percent gone. I know some will say no but this is the 3 rd time I've beat it over the last 4 years after simply adding ginger. I use to think it was just in the food but I have a yellow eye who is strictly and algae eater. His cleared up as well which tells me you can simply add it to the water. Everything else is snake oil imo. This is the only method with proven results. At least for me.

Interesting, how much do you add per gallon? Does it have any effect on corals or do you add to fish only?

Was this the first time you used ginger or have you had several or many similar results? How can you be sure it's not just a fortunate coincidence?

Just because I got over the flu the day after eating Mom's chicken soup does not make her soup a cure for the flu virus.

"Was this the first time you used ginger or have you had several or many similar results? How can you be sure it's not just a fortunate coincidence?"

He stated he has done it 3 times. That doesn't mean it isn't a (3)coincidence(s), that it really is gone, or that it isn't. What is the science here?

He sure did mention that and I missed it. This is interesting & would like to know more. I'm always respectfully skeptical about herbal remedies, especially when used for possibly fatal conditions.

If anecdotal evidence is strong, useful experiments on this could be worthwhile for the advanced, curious hobbyist.

First, about me. I've been in the hobby for over 15 years. I've tried every garlic/uv trick out there in my past reef keeping. On 3 seperate occasions (all happening by adding a fish that has had ich) I have cured the tank with ginger powder you can get at any albertsons. I usually mix it up with my sis shrimp and simply add it to tank. There is no exact amount other than sprinkling it on top and mixing it in. When you add it to to the tank the ginger shoots out in a cloud. This has no effect on corals, shrimp or snails. The results for me have been fairly quick showing immediate results in 24 hours. All signs of ich vanish and never return. The first time everyone kept saying its part of the cycle etc... But it never returns. 3 different times about a year apart with the same result to all fish involved, even blue tangs. I would use this method before garlic extract which never showed any results. Uv showed modest results.

++ on what mark54321 said. What was the amount per gallon? What this applied to a QT or DT? For how long? Just powdered ginger, or the root itself?

Into the main display. I know it sounds crude but I wouldn't post if it was false. I let the cubes thaw then mixed it in and then let it freeze again. I'm thinking that simply adding 1/4 teaspoon daily for a couple days would work.

Into the main display. I know it sounds crude but I wouldn't post if it was false. I let the cubes thaw then mixed it in and then let it freeze again. I'm thinking that simply adding 1/4 teaspoon daily for a couple days would work.

Not sure I understand? What cubes are you referring to? Probably not cubes of frozen ginger, right? So you mix the powdered ginger with a cube of defrosted frozen fish food, refreeze it, and then feed it to DT?

Have you tried your alternative suggestion of "adding 1/4 teaspoon daily for a couple days" directly to DT?

Also, just playing the devil's advocate, if powdered ginger works, why have you apparently had 3 outbreaks of ich over past 4 years?

Thanks,

I buy the typical frozen mysis shrimp cubes you get everywhere. It can be anything. I let the cubes thaw which looks like soup I sprinkle the ginger on and mix it in. Nothing too scientific. Then I put it back in the freezer. Like I mentioned. I think you can add some directly to the water because there were fish that don't eat that which have been cured as well. It clouds up in the water some as soon as it thaws in your tank.

Because I buy fish from Petco and they suck with disease when I first get them.

It sounds like folk medicine but maybe I should go get a fish at PetCo and see for myself. I have an empty QT...

I'm skeptical but have an open mind. But I used to give ginger for sea sickness to guests on my fishing boat who had concerns about puking, and I can't remember any of them doing the technicolor yawn, but some undosed individuals certainly did. I didn't believe it until I saw it, but always wondered about the placebo effect....

Wouldn't that be crazy, after all the studies, research & papers by fish biologists, all the copper, all the clocha clorio whatever, after all the millions of $$$ spent on UV, after all the tank transfers, after all the garlic & slime coat magic, that something so simple could actually work? It would be like if we discovered that yellow mustard cured diabetes.

It sounds like folk medicine but maybe I should go get a fish at PetCo and see for myself. I have an empty QT...

I'm skeptical but have an open mind. But I used to give ginger for sea sickness to guests on my fishing boat who had concerns about puking, and I can't remember any of them doing the technicolor yawn, but some undosed individuals certainly did. I didn't believe it until I saw it, but always wondered about the placebo effect....

Wouldn't that be crazy, after all the studies, research & papers by fish biologists, all the copper, all the clocha clorio whatever, after all the millions of $$$ spent on UV, after all the tank transfers, after all the garlic & slime coat magic, that something so simple could actually work? It would be like if we discovered that yellow mustard cured diabetes.

Try it out and make a thread while you're at it! i shall follow along!
It seems possible i always knew ginger was good for your stomach. I remember just as a little kid with a stomach virus and if we had ginger ale, i was getting some as it was "medicine" haha.

My QT will be available again in 1 week, maybe i will run a trial, now i just need an ich infested fish...

It's certainly not impossible that it could work. After all, almost all pharmaceutically active compounds originated in plants. But to really show this to be the case, one would need to deliberately infect some fish, cure them via the treatment, then show that the cured fish really are cured instead of just developing resistance to the parasite.

But it'd be well worthwhile, ich is a serious problem for food aquaculture - marine aquaria are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to food production, at least in monetary terms.

This doesn't prove anything I and many others don't qt and can put a fish with ich directly into the DT and not have it reappear all without any treatment what so ever.

Interesting. I'm skeptical, but following along with an open mind. Would be a fantastic advancement for the hobby if this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back