Glass cover on Aqualight - Remove it or not

Bandsaw

Hello folks,

I just got a new Coralife Aqualight (4 X 65W PC).

It came with a removable glass cover. Probably there as Coralife does not wish any legal issues should the thing short out without a glass cover.

Anyway, I know I should remove it for maximum light exposure. The lights will be about 5" off the surface of 75g tank.

Just how much light reduction can be expected by leaving the glass cover in place? There are obvious advantages in leaving the cover on in the form of lamp protection/cleaning, etc. So I am wondering just how much output I will be loosing if I leave the glass cover on.

One other note. I plan on coating the end caps of the PC and the sockets with high temperature dielectric grease in order to keep the corrosion and salt out.

Thanks

A clean sheet of glass will probably absorb 12-15% of the light hitting it. You can look at various tank builder sites where they discuss the various types of glass if you want details.

Every lens I've seen on the Aqualights with CF bulbs has been acrylic and I would leave it in place and keep it clean.

You will have a 4% reflection from each side of the glass. Some of the reflected light will then be reflected off of something else and then make its way back into the tank.

I would expect very little absorption through the glass.

I would leave it on. I have had one corrode before just from a gap where I didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t close it all the way after the last cleaning.

Don't remove the cover, it protects your lights if water splashes up. The cover is easy to clean and really shouldn't have to much of an impact on your light.

Okay, I should say you'll lose about 12-15% of the light from a sheet of glass. Most of it is indeed lost to reflection.

Wow, thanks for all the input.

I did elect to leave the glass in place. I also coated the endcaps with dielectric grease to keep the salt out of the connections.

Compared to the lights I had before - WOW.

I had the same light. It had the shield. Now I have a TEK light with NO shield. Shield is not needed. If you have it, use it if you light.

Back