glass scratch

flemingm

I purchased my first tank used. Its a 60 gal. oceanic and has deep and shallow scratches. The scratches didnt bother me as I was just excited to have a saltwater tank. Six months later and they seem to be a huge distraction and I was wondering if there is a possible repair that can be made. I will down the tank if the results are promising..thanks

I'm not sure about getting out the scratches, but it sounds like alot of work and you'll probably end up scratching again.
You could just get a new 60 gal and use old one for a sump, or have 2 tanks set up!

My understanding is that if you can feel it, you won't get it out. Scratched glass is usually at a bargain price for that very reason.

Check out this website: http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Let me save you the expense and trouble, though, by telling you that you will never, ever get scratches out of glass. I wasted 5 hours of my live and $100 trying to get scratches out using this method to no avail. Trust me, the scratches bug you now because you think you can get rid of them. Once you come to terms with the fact that you can't, they will go away visually.

Thanks for the advice! I heard that scratches in automotive windshields could be removed by buffing with a pad and a type of coumpound buffed in stages. I did puchase a tall 47gal. but like the size of the 60 gal. Alot of the scratches can be felt when I use the glass scraper attachment.

chances are that if they are that bad, you won't get them out. If you have deep scratches, you CAN buff them out with different buffering compounds, BUT all you are really doing is slowly grinding down the glass to get below that scratch to clean glass. The obvious problem with this is that the glass takes a huge load on a fish tank. You would only be creating a weak-point, and ultimately endanger cracking or breaking in the glass.

Back