New Member - question on tank in wall

peter_rivers

Hi RC!

New member here.

I bought a house recently and now that renovations are pretty much all complete, I was thinking about restoring this fish tank that the old owners had and bringing it back to life.

They had what looked like a chimney buildout but instead of a chimney, they had a 100 gallon tank.

The opening for the fish tank is just a tiny bit larger than the tank itself. There is a small flap up top that allows access to the top of the tank and dare I say the back somehow? No cabinets or storage on top or below. (I’ll try to attach a picture here if it works via mobile)

My concern is maintaining this tank properly. They previously had a rear hang on filter and I’m really not sure how difficult or easy maintenance was on this thing. From what I remember years ago, I had to take the unit off and clean it well as well as its filters inside, but I just don’t see how that would be possible with this tank.

Any information, hints tips tricks are all appreciated!

Also, I am basically starting from scratch here. Filters, lights, heaters, etc, whatever you think is needed do tell!

I look forward to getting this started up and running correctly!

Attachments

• BCA2FD83-1D7B-4F53-841F-3D2BAC89B231.jpeg
    BCA2FD83-1D7B-4F53-841F-3D2BAC89B231.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
It would be very difficult to maintain/work on a tank with only a narrow access point in the front. I don't know how you would vacuum detritus if needed. Human nature being what it is, the harder a task is, the easier it is to put it off.

I would worry about water overflowing from a hang on filter in that confined space. All it takes is for a filter to get dirty/full and the water can flood. (Perhaps this isn't as much an issue with the latest/greatest models).

I think you need to design a setup that is as low-tech and hands free as possible. Perhaps a simple planted tank with a few fish.

Hard to tell from photos -
Does the tank come out? Would be good to see a photos of the interior space, etc. Is this a false wall of some kind built to just hold this tank?
As Brian said, if the only access is that flap, you are going to have a very hard time daily with this setup.

Hard to tell from photos -
Does the tank come out? Would be good to see a photos of the interior space, etc. Is this a false wall of some kind built to just hold this tank?
As Brian said, if the only access is that flap, you are going to have a very hard time daily with this setup.
The tank does come out. I already took it out and what not but this looks like hard stone that doesnt have any false walls. The exterior of the home is on the other side of this wall so not sure what they did beforehand!

It would be very difficult to maintain/work on a tank with only a narrow access point in the front. I don't know how you would vacuum detritus if needed. Human nature being what it is, the harder a task is, the easier it is to put it off.

I would worry about water overflowing from a hang on filter in that confined space. All it takes is for a filter to get dirty/full and the water can flood. (Perhaps this isn't as much an issue with the latest/greatest models).

I think you need to design a setup that is as low-tech and hands free as possible. Perhaps a simple planted tank with a few fish.
Funny you mention that about the water overflowing. When I removed the tank out of the wall, I noticed some water damage at the bottom on the base under where the filter was hanging. Thank you for that info!

There is nothing quite as joyful as hearing water splashing on the floor and discovering the overflow is overflowing to the wrong place.

less than 24 hours ago
She comes upstairs from her desk
"ohh btw I heard something slide and the water changed sound"

???

Walked away from 40 gallon holding bin and transfer hose slid out. Water was siphoning onto floor.

You guys are scaring me here!
I had a green carpet anemone decide to do a walkabout after years of staying in the same place. While I was at work, he moved into my overflow clogging it, and overflowing the tank. Destroyed some power strips, digital timers, and tripped all the breakers in my apartment. Lesson learned, no more single drain overflows.

Are you going to do salt water or fresh water in this aquarium?

I would check around the tank. Is this an exterior wall or interior wall? If interior, You may be able to knock out the back wall and build out a small fish room or at least large access points

Saltwater and brick work are not friends. How about reptiles or amphibians? Hamsters? It looks like a really nice place for some kind of display. Amazing what you walk into with a new house.

Welcome! As pointed out above access is a serious issue. I'd suggest getting with your carpenters and see if cabinet doors could be installed above and below the tank.

UPDATE: I visited a local aquarium store over the weekend and the guy was super helpful and also said I should definitely consider putting something on top or on the bottom for access. To be honest I am not willing to break the stone as that could turn into a much larger project. I had my chance to do demo on that when we first bought the house and gutted it but my brain said save that area for some strange reason.
So, after long consideration and a weekend of thinking about it, I decided that I won't be putting an aquarium..... in that location. I plan to frame out and build a setup myself in a different part of my basement/man-cave or whatever you want to call it.
I think bottom panel/closet access will be best and now it's time for me to start planning that out. I imagine the tank filled with water and everything else will make it close to 1000lbs or over maybe so it needs to be super strong.

That works! If this portion of the wall is still in your man cave area, could make it a nice bar/liquor display

That works! If this portion of the wall is still in your man cave area, could make it a nice bar/liquor display
Thats kind of actually exactly what I had in mind! It would be either right next to the bar area or part of the bar. This will definitely take some planning and figuring out!

Back