Starting over 15 years later….looking for some help.

hwynboy

Trying to start another salt water tank. I have a neighbor selling a 220gallon rr for $800

what would I need to start up for pumps, filters skimmers? I’d get LR and sand from Tampa Bay saltwater. I’m thinking fish only for now and then corals again later. It’s been 15 years since I’ve kept a full coral tank with clams….just thought I’d start here get some ideas On How deep this rabbit hole goes once again.

Well, the hobby has changed a lot and stayed the same. No one way to do it right and you’ll get a bunch of opinions. 220 for $800 sounds like a steal.

I won’t comment on equipment As I’m very old school…still running MH lights.

Going fish only can save a lot of money at first (though fish in my opinion look better with quality reef lights instead of the cheaper lights that can’t grow coral). That said, the price doesn’t sound bad.

I run a Jebao return pump but there are plenty of others out there. In tank I have Jebao, koralia and Neptune pumps and honestly except for how much water they push, can’t tell a huge difference

For a FOWLR, lots of flow and perhaps a HOB filter and your set. Your "husbandry" will dictate the success of the tank. When your ready to add corals just upgrade the lighting. A happy healthy reef tank doesn't have to be so complicated sometimes. (refugium, skimmer etc) GL.

Back