Goby ID

rumor

Found this goby in a LFS which I suspect is a Myersina sp.
Hope someone can identify it properly.

23602Unknown_Myersina.jpg

Finally managed to identify the goby, its a Myersina lachneri. Very interesting fish though, its bold and hovers around like dartfishes.

g212a.jpg

Thanks to Rumour, I got a couple of these guys as well. One is typically out in the middle of the tank all the time whilst the other pretty much hides - today is the first time after a few days that I saw it out at the back of the tank...Typical plankton eater habits - picks food floating by out of the water column.

32382Myersina-lachneri.jpg

Hi,

wonderfull fish which I have never seen before! My I ask you to make more pictures so that I can use them in our fish lexikon.

Can you also ask your dealer where they came from?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for dropping by.
It is supposedly from Bali; judging from their current stocking, it is likely.

Got another 2 for marinebetta who is totally hooked on them, he'll provide more pictures since he's better at photography :rollface:

Hi,

what a shame that you and marinebetta live so far away from me :( we would make the perfect gobie fan club :D

Hope marinebetta make smore pictures and that I have the same luck as we had with the flabellogobius which came shortly afterwards also to Europe.

Please keep me posted about any behaviour obersvations you guys make!

Found these 2 together yesterday morning cosying up with a pair of randalli pistols....

Although they are not listed on fishbase as pistol symbionts, they take to them quite immediately (if an unoccupied pistol burrow is available) and act as if they are symbionts. Underwater pics also show them to hover just out of burrows in the substrate just like shrimp gobies. Perhaps they are??

These 2 were from different batches and they had occupied different pistol burrows at each end of the tank. Yesterday morning I found them together and acting like a pair. There are also some morphological differences that may indicate sex....and I think the large tummy on the presumed female is pretty indicative:)

Unfortunately I came home to blended anemone soup last night and everything was disrupted: fortunately I found and caught up the male in time; presumed the female was dead....but found her out of her burrow today! Just have to re-introduce them....
32382Myersina-lacneri-n-randalli.jpg

Hi Peter,

Of course you can use the pic for the lexicon. Send me an email and I will send you a modified version with my real name....

Interesting about the fine sand for the randallis. That was my initial plan but after asking around on RC, Anthony Calfo recommended a coarser gravel so as to allow them to have a more structurally sound construction. Thus I actually sieved out the fine stuff! Have been considering redoing this tank....maybe I will use the fine sieved sand.

Happy to report that the 2 are back paired again after I reintroduced them last night. One of the pistols is missing, tho...:(

Great Pictures MB, as usual ...

I just introduce another male A. randalli to attempt pairing with my Lachneri.

My Lachneri which used to be quite visible is now nowhere to be seen. Hopefully the pairing is successful and they'll appear soon.

We'll be looking forward to your visit Peter :)

MB,

I can not understand the remark from Anthony at all??? The randalli compare to the bellulus uses a totally different methode to remove the sand from the borrow:

* Bellulus and similar species use there pincers / front arms (dont have a good english name - sorry) and build a plow to move the gravel out by pushing it in front of them. For these Alpheus fine sand is not perfect.

* Randalli takes a total different approach and use the Pleopods to move the sand by strong water movement. For this they turn around, face the borrow entrance and move the Pleopods very fast creating a strong water movement which blows the sand out behind them. This only works with sand and can't work with bigger gravel pieces. Mine do move bigger gravel pieces manually, piece by piece if needed. But you will see the difference in their behavior as soon as they have sand.

Additionally I believe sand is less likely to damage the fragile skin layer of these gobies.

Please send me the picture to info@reefsafe.de

Hi Peter,

I think Anthony was thinking that fine sand might not hold up the burrows very well; that there should be some coarse gravel for the structure to hold (at least for the areas that are not under larger pieces of coral chips or live rock).

I do see the randallis using their pleopods to jet sand etc out of their burrows. They also remove pieces very efficiently with their pincers (yes, that's the right word...) No doubt a finer sand would be much more gentle for the gobies...In pictures from the wild, they are often in mud/silt substrate....

Have sent you the email.

Back