Going back to MH, but can't find (m)any nice simple fixtures...

Gorgok

I have had DIY leds with cheap supplemental T5HOs on my 75 and for a while the DIYs (built maybe 6 years ago?) have been shut down (DIY drivers didn't like salt creep in the end) for a bit. I don't think the lighting is actually good enough now, and really am thinking that i should go back to halide as the best tank i've ever had was with them.

But, i only have 1 (250w) Icecap mogul pendant (15" x 8.75" x 4.75") which i actually like the look of. It worked on the pentagon tank, but not so hot on a 75 without a buddy on the other side. Can't find another of those lights though.

So might have to get 2 new ones? But then i'd probably just get 400w capable ones, since why not, right? Hamilton's Cayman Sun things seem to look okay, a little wider than my old one, overall not stupid looking (like the Hamilton Cozumel Sun, among others). But again, these don't seem to come in 400w mogul, and i've never used DE bulbs. Go for 400w DE or 250w mogul? Its not a deep tank so 250 is probably fine....

Any other pendants to look at? Google is having issues finding anything but a few things repeated all over... Can't remember it being this bad for halides before.

Definitely don't do 2x400 watt halides over a 75 gallon unless you plan on keeping them 24" over the water. It's just overkill. You can get the same par and coverage from 250 watt bulbs since your tank is so shallow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hamilton has really nice stuff. Or diy a mh t5 combo.
I have a Belize sun over my 65. 250w mh are plenty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Giesmann has the Spectra. ...pretty nice looking fixture. Expensive.

I agree that 250W are more than enough.

Hamilton has good stuff. I have their Cebu Sun. It works great plus they are a phone call away. If you want sleaker, get their Bimini.

Nothing but positive things to say about my 2x250 watt Hamilton Cebu 48" fixture.

400 watts is nuts on a tank that small. Way too much heat/electricity for little benefit.

I'm glad at least there are a few people still saying its not a dumb idea, or that they still run MH themselves.

Ballasts seem to have come down in price with the legalization of stuff... Though most seem to be on the high end of wattage. I don't imagine there is much difference in a ballast unless its actively over-driving a bulb (and shortening its life). My old Sunlight Supply Galaxy doesn't seem to exist anymore either. Most i've looked at now have fans, i just hope that won't be a problem. It also seems easier to find a 400w supply that can be run down to 150w or 250w than it is to find a 250w ballast. Probably just better anyway as its under working the ballast...

Question is if i need to go for 2 matching ballasts or if it doesn't really matter and just run what you brung...

Why would people say that is is dumb? The best possible reef lighting comes from MH - so it is an easy choice for those who care about results.

Different ballasts can drive bulbs differently. I would match the ballasts.

Back