Got the T5's up and running! (pics!)

How do you feed the fish? Do you lift the front of the light board up? Thanks for the post.. Is your classroom in Japan? Do you come back to the states when school is out to race? I have always wanted to go to Japan.. And I have owned race cars as well. You have a unique mixture going on there I'm impressed! hehe

Actually, I have some openings cut out in the back for ballast wires, power head cords, and the return line from the sump.

My first design flaw...not planning how to feed the fish. Luckily, one of the openings in the back is above an opening in the glass. I put the food on a plastic spoon , gently go through the hole, and turn over. Bah-da-bing! (ghetto I know.)

Yep...classroom in Japan. I come back from mid-June to mid-August to race. Both hobbies consume large amounts of $$, but nothing beats racing.

Dana

I hear you on the racing you have 2 addicting hobbies... I have and idea that I was thinking of doing and maybe helps you.. Dry hydralic pistons connecting the light board to the canopy like a power assist to make the front go up.. Shut the light so you dont get blinded but if somethin is going on in the tank you can get right in.

Also did you have any concerns with the salt water on the wood? Is it sealed?

I had read about some threads about using the hydraulic pistons (like on the trunks of SUV), but my canopy has no room. I'd be worried about my design as the weight might flip it right off the back.

I sealed the tank stand with spar-urethane. However I sealed the canopy with a water based poly (I read that is safe for acrylic to touch. If not I'd have to put thin sheets of foam around any part that could potentially touch the acrylic.

Dana

Very good. I dont like the way it might look but I was also thinking of a pully system that goes to my ceiling Lift the whole thing straight up.

I had actually thought long and hard about a system like that. Not my ceiling, so I ruled that out. My plan was to make it easy enough to take off with one person. I think if I added two small handles to the top, I would have a great design. As of now, I'm able to lift the entire canopy off and put it on all at once, but it can be hairy!

Dana

Back