Grape caulerpa battle

wreck

I have been battling this pos for a while now.... Is there any way to beat this or am I in a situation where I have to start from scratch

Sorry the battle is it is taking over my display I have been manually trying to remove it but it's not working and is a royal pain . I was curious if there was anything that will devour it

I haven't had luck with anything eating it. I was successful manually removing it but it's a challenge to get the root too, especially when in a rock crevice. It was a pain and a long process.

I'm not sure that, once down to nothing but roots that something was eating at it to keep it away but it finally worked. I kept growing it (and even selling it on ebay) in my fuge.

Here's my take on volonia.

Let's assume that a particular crab or fish could eat BA. BTW, in interests of full disclosure, IME mithrax crabs, foxfaces, or anything else do not eat valonia.

Based on my experience with dozens of mithrax from multiple sources, I am especially confident that they eat LPS polyps before they touch BA.

But if any such herbivore ate volonia, how would it do so? It sure can't swallow the stuff whole. So it would tear into the BA with its mouth, burst it, and then eat the remnants, right?

Assuming that's the case, then what is the problem with removing the BA by tearing it apart with a metal or wooden probe and siphoning out the remnants while doing water changes? Works for me.

Good luck,

Mike

Water changes and gfo. Have you tested your water for phosphate and nitrate?

Pull it out once a week. Getting something that eats it is not solving the problem on why its growing in the first place.

might want to look into a algae turf scrubber. Huge thread on these ATF in the advance section.

Valonia is not the same as grape caulerpa. Former is easily enough removed mechanically, I have a few clumps in my tank. Grape caulerpa is a pox. Very difficult to remove once introduced. I have found that zebrasoma tangs will occasionally eat it, though not reliably; some have reported success with a fox face. Really just requires persistence with tweezers or tongs.

Last edited:
If you are referring to caulerpa racemosa peltata, I can tell you that Atlantic Blue tangs eat it.

Maybe you should post a pic.

Back