Green hair algae. Make this disappear

westtexasmedic

I have a 60 gallon that crashed on me when my porcupine puffer decided to take a one way trip to Jesus which in turn nuked my tank. I have completed a 80% water change and cleaned out all the dead bristle worms. Miraculously, some cerith snails survived aquatic Armageddon, now fast forward 3 months I'm still having trouble with a few water chemistry issues.

I can't get ammonia to zero out (stays at 0.25-0.5 PPM)
Nitrates are 20PPM
PH holds at 8.3
temp 78 F
Nitrites 0

I have taken steps recommended by my LFS to shut down my lights for two weeks ( still in progress)

After the blackout period I'll reevaluate where it is.

But I'm sure their will be more needed to eradicate this nuisance algae.

With that said.

Should I decrease the power output from the lights and duration (I have Kessil AP700's X2 running for 8 hours per day @65%-75%

What do I need to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

im guessing this tank is somewhere less then 6 month old, or around that time. if it was me, I would concentrate on chemistry first, don't worry about hair algae for now. I would continue on water changes, maybe like 20% weekly. keep eye on that ammonia until its gone, then wait until nitrites are gone. then worry about hair algae. I did similar mistake in the past, and what help me fully cycle my tank was "seachem stability" look it up
...also im only 4-5 years into tis hobby, there is people here waaaay longer then me into it, im sure they wil give you good advise.

Last edited:
Any will be good for start but if accuracy matters Red Sea or Hanna are easy to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK,
looks like you will need to raise your nitrates. Nothing should test -0-.

Agree that's where accuracy and if they are still good, all test kits expire have you tried a friends test kit? They even have those mail in tests I use to always have two results better than one not that I am saying spend the money just options when you have doubts about something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, IF you have algae, a phosphate problem is likely: it won't test, if it's bound up in the algae, but if it's green it's likely there. A good system with a good skimmer CAN help it---during recent lengthy illness I let my tank go and feed my poor fish on flake, and I have had an epic bloom of green. After a number of tries at fixing it, I ordered a massive cleanup crew mostly of dwarf ceriths and some hermits. I don't know who's onto it, of the two, but scrupulously clean rock is emerging and my skimmer is uptaking like mad. Ordinarily I advise against 'getting something to eat it' because when it goes, they die, and it all goes round again, but in this case, these very tiny cleaners are there to eat a rebloom, and I am launched on a daily 10% water change until I have equalled the volume of water in my system. And testing. That should reset the clock on this poor tank. I don't say that would work for every situation but this one seems to be working for me.

Just got over my GHA problem, new tank syndrome. It seemed to never go away.

Exportation of nutrients is a must! I would spend hours and hours siphoning and plucking (240g tank) and used lanthanum chloride (brightwell) regularly and 300 hermit crabs. And one day I noticed it was better and then one day I noticed it was all gone.

Plucking algae is nutrient export.

I had many battles against GHA. I found running GFO (along with carbon) helped. Also water changes and manually picking it out (annoying I know) will help as well.

If you don't solve it by the methods mentioned above, give Vibrant a go. It won't fix the cause of your algae, but it will get rid of it over time. While the Vibrant is working you should work to reduce nutrients from the tank so it doesn't come back.

Back