Green mouthed killer! (graphic content)....

backlash

I woke up this morning to find my spotted mandarin being consumed by this monster.....
97980mini-killer2.JPG

97980mini-killer1.JPG

Poor little guy...

Its hard to tell, but the shroom that got him has 2 mouths. You can see the other mouth in the second pic .

I have a similar mushroom but about 1.5 times the size. I doubt that the mushroom killed the fish. Those mushrooms close very slowly. Any fish would have plenty of warning to get away.

I seriously doubt the mushroom killed the fish. How would it catch the fish? Have you ever tried to feed a corrallimorph? You have to pretty much turn off all the flow just so that the food can sit there long enough for the mushroom to close its mouth.

I really don't know if he was alive or not, but he was in good health before this. I have seen these mushrooms close before and they start out slow, then right at the end they kind of snap shut - suprisingly quick.They have closed up before on hermits and I have to rescue them. But who knows....:(

Mushrooms are prety universally understood to have the ability to kill slow moving fish. Some biologists think there's a weak neurotoxin at play that may just stun the fish enough. Check out Eric Borneman's *Aquarium Corals* for a sweet before and after of a rhodactis devouring a kaudern's cardinal.

exactly the same thing happened to my clown goby. Came into the room to fnd his tail end sticking out of a shroom with the white mucousy sludge covering him. :(

sorry for your loss. :(

I told my LFS guy about the what happened and he said its not that uncommon. He told me about a large tank he services that has a huge mushroom in it. He said that it has taken numerous large tangs and described the same slow, steady closing untill right at the end when it snapped shut rather quickly.
btw, thanks for the sympathies...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6738238#post6738238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jedininja
I seriously doubt the mushroom killed the fish. How would it catch the fish? Have you ever tried to feed a corrallimorph? You have to pretty much turn off all the flow just so that the food can sit there long enough for the mushroom to close its mouth.

I agree, maybe it died, then landed on the shroom? Though, I have seen some mushrooms that close much faster then others.

Back