Green wirey algae

It took a couple days but now the fox isn't hiding. I've seen him plus my tomini tang and LeMarck angel nip at it. We shall see how effective it will be. I've also been "mowing" sections manually. I pluck it out for 10-20 minutes a day.

Keeping your parameters in line and manual labor IMO. A wire brush can come in real handy sometimes. (assuming you've ripped out as much as you can) Battling an algae problem with something that poops is not always the best option in some cases. GL.

Yeah, I'm working on getting the heavy bioload guys out in their own tank. I know my no3 is high(40ish) last I checked.

Sweet! I agree that you don't want to rely on poopers to control algae but it sure helps in the beginning. If your experience is like mine the algae will soon disappear then you will be hanging nori for your poopers.

C.Sharkdude, how's your battle going?

I'm still fighting this stuff, but the combination of Tech M and Peroxide seems to be slowly but surely ridding my tank of this stuff.

I put in a 16oz bottle of Tech M and it only raised by 80 ppm or so. I need to pickup another bottle but it will have to wait until payday. The fox face is eating it off the rocks so I am thinking its not briopsis but will probably get the chems just to be sure.

Overall not bad though. With all that I'm doing I notice a big difference from before. Some rocks are bad enough to remove to scrub down with a hard plastic wire brush.

I might try the peroxide method before getting more Tech though.

I put in a 16oz bottle of Tech M and it only raised by 80 ppm or so. I need to pickup another bottle but it will have to wait until payday. The fox face is eating it off the rocks so I am thinking its not briopsis but will probably get the chems just to be sure.

Overall not bad though. With all that I'm doing I notice a big difference from before. Some rocks are bad enough to remove to scrub down with a hard plastic wire brush.

I might try the peroxide method before getting more Tech though.

With my tank 110 gallons total, I went through almost a gallon of Tech M to get the Mg up to 1800. I got another 1/2 gallon to help maintain it there.

What I found strange is that when I first got the Mg levels up, most of this stuff died off almost immediately. There are tiny sprigs of it here and there all over the tank. I'm maintaining the Mg levels as a safeguard while I hit those spots daily with peroxide. Overall, I think I'm slowly winning this fight.

Good luck in getting rid of it. Like you said, I'm not sure it's Bryopsis either, but who knows:confused:

I added a dozen or so red leg hermits and a couple others two days ago. They seemed to go right for this stuff. I'll update in a week or two.

I added a dozen or so red leg hermits and a couple others two days ago. They seemed to go right for this stuff. I'll update in a week or two.

That's encouraging.

I'm going to start slowly lowering the Mg levels via water changes. It's been almost 6 weeks and I think the Tech M did the most it could. Once the Mg levels are down to a normal level, I'm going to order a good sized CUC to see if I can wipe out the remaining algae.

I added some more hermits and an urchin, removed the Colombian shark catfish and did a large water change since I last posted. Slowly I believe I'm winning the battle, I notice a lot less alge than before especially since adding the urchin.

This crud is making a comeback in my tank. I haven't had the time to lower the Mg, so it's either a strain of Bryopsis that isn't affected by the Tech M or it is something else. I'm starting to think I had Bryopsis and something else and the Tech M wiped out the Bryopsis, leaving whatever this other algae is.

At this point, I'm considering Algae Fix Marine in conjunction with the Tech M.

My fear at this point is that it might be Derbesia which, supposedly, isn't impacted by the Algae Fix. I hate using chemicals in my tank. However, I'm getting desperate to get rid of this stuff.

FWIW, I've had a pin cushion urchin in the tank for well over a year and it doesn't seem to touch this stuff. What kind of urchin do you have?

Back