Ground probes

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I did read somewhere-not a aquarium bb-- that the gfi receptcles and extensions were more prone to trip false.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

b, I've heard that too. Being a contractor I am around electricians quite a bit. This is what they've always told me. I suppose I could fork over a few dollars and stick a gfi breaker on that circuit.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

We need Badgers he'll set the record straight.
And for the record I was blasted once when my ground wasnt plugged in and my tank was plugged into a GFI outlet. I did have socks on and was on a cement floor. I dont think it would have happened if I had shoes on.

Your guys sure were busy here while I was still at work. A lot of stuff I will only address a bit of it.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Why is it different to the gfi if ground is thru a "probe" rather than thru a person?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Nothing, neither of those is not what the GFCI is looking for. It is looking for a fault current to ground exceeds a predetermined value. It looks for this internally within its internal circuits.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A ground probe in no way will render a "Properly installed" GFCI useless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That was not an assumption on my part. That is what I was told by an electrical contractor. Now I am not a Certified Electrician, but I do have a pretty good knowledge base in it and it makes some sense, though I have never tried to prove or confirm it.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I also do not agree that a GFCI works off the surge created in the ground side. A surge cannot be created from ground. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe a poor way that I wrote it. But yes the surge does to or through the ground side. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The GFCI wants to see 120v on the hot & 120v on the neutral, if it doesn't see that it will trip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That is impossible because voltage is supplied in the Line side and there is no voltage supplied in the neutral side. It is just that, neutral, just the same as ground. Though properly wired, you run a separate dedicated line for ground. If you don't believe me, get out a DVOM and test your outlets yourself. Or go and pull the inside cover off your breaker box and pull your meter off as well and look how it is wired. I won't get into voltage drops and how to troubleshoot and diagnose circuits here.

Here is something taken strait off Leviton's site. Take note to what I have put in bold and italics:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Application:
These devices provide personnel protection by interrupting a circuit where a fault current to ground exceeds a predetermined value. For use with alternating current only.
A GFCI receptacle should be specified, rather than a GFCI circuit breaker, in those applications where it is important to localize power interruption, provide convenient testing and resetting at the receptacle itself (rather than at the breaker panel), minimize nuisance tripping from causes extraneous to the receptacle protected, and provide GFCI protection without specific concern for the type of manufacturer of the current overload protection.
This type of device can be installed in shared-neutral (Edison-type) circuits as long as the shared neutral ends at the GFCI. Circuit-breaker GFCI's cannot be used for such installations.

Note: In accordance with NEC Article 210-7(d), a GFCI receptacle may be used to replace an existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacle. In addition, existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacles may be replaced with grounding-type receptacles when they are supplied through a GFCI receptacle. (In this case, however, a grounding conductor should not be connected between the GFCI receptacle and those receptacles that it supplies).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found it interesting that a GFCI receptacle may be used to replace an existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacle. I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. Since as I mentioned above, the GFCI looks for the surge (that may be a bad word to use, but you should know what I mean) internally. So it does not require a ground connected to itself to trip. In this case it would not provide any ground protection, just power interrupt.

OK, Fire away! ;)

------------------
Happy Reefing,
Michael

Aquaria Central

Learn from the mistakes of others, Life is too short to make them all for yourself!
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures.

We are some what in agreement and I'll try to clear this up. I am not meaning to flame hear. So I'll try not to Fire.

Quote 1: Sort of in agreement. This will be looked upon at the end of this post.

Quote 2: Contractor is wrong and here is an example to support it. You are working outside next to a pool. You are using a power tool with a 3 prong plug. It is plugged into a 3 prong GFCI receptacle (code if an outlet is by a pool). What you are saying is, if you drop that electrical tool into water the GFCI will not trip because the ground(3rd prong) renders it useless. I'm sorry I can not agree with that. Even when the ground is already hard wired to the pool equipment(also code) and you are using a 2 prong plug on the tool, the GFCI will still trip. If there is a problem with a GFCI being rendered useless with a ground why is it on the receptacle?

Quote 3: When the GFCI senses a fault (5 milliamps)it trips and stops the current flow pretty much the way a breaker does. It does shunt/direct it to ground.

Quote 4: If there is a big enough voltage drop there will be an amperage draw. Once that draw hits 5 milliamps the GFCI will trip.
AC voltage does go both ways. +120vac, -120vac Hence the term AC = Alternating Current. Example: If you spliced a diode in line on the neutral wire (or the hot for that matter)on a lamp and turned the lamp on, it would blink. The reason being is you are stopping the other half of the AC signal.

Quote 5: " interrupting a circuit where a fault current to ground exceeds a predetermined value."
This statement says it all. I also think it's where the confusion is. What is meant by fault current to ground is, not the ground itself but the "fault" to ground. Usually the "fault" is a human being standing on a wet floor or touching a ground source and then touches the water when there is a problem present. That human now becomes the path to ground. Due to the natural high resistance of the human body, it's going to take some amps to push that voltage through. The higher the resistance the more amps to get the job done. With out a GFCI to shut down the power, the human is toast.

Last: Your last paragraph regarding 2 prong receptacles also tells it all. There is no ground, as you wrote "So it does not require a ground connected to itself to trip." A GFCI doesn't really look for a ground to trip. What it looks for is that predetermined value of 5 milliamps.

Quote "The GFCI works off the surge created in the ground side when there is a short. When you install a grounding probe it will provide an easier path to ground from your water, so if a heater breaks or (stretching
it) if a lamp fixture fell into the tank the surge would flow through the probe to ground and the GFCI would not trip."

The above quote contradicts itself. What you are saying is the GFCI will not trip because there is a direct short to ground. That it will not sense the surge. You were originally saying that a GFCI senses the surge in the ground side.
Here is a test to disprove that. Install a wire between the hot & ground poles right at the GFCI. All we are doing here is shortening the path a little. If what you are saying is true it will not trip. I am pretty confident that that will not be the case. Again, the GFCI is not really looking for a ground its looking for that predetermined value(a draw).

Back to the Ground probe issue.

If there is a short in a fish tank and it is GFCI protected and has a ground probe, the probe becomes the fault to ground & the GFCI will trip immediately upon reaching that 5 ma value. If it does not have a probe, the person touching the water becomes the fault to ground & it trips immediately upon reaching that 5 ma value. Either way it works, you just don't feel it the first way :D. Hope this was a little clearer.

Thanks

Paul

I'm only going to address one thing right now as I am already running 15 min behind this morning.

AC current does not go both directions, it alternates on and off. This creates a sin wave that is measured in Htz.

------------------
Happy Reefing,
Michael

Aquaria Central

Learn from the mistakes of others, Life is too short to make them all for yourself!

Staceon:
I don't know if your 6-gang power strip has ground-prong slots. And if it did, if those would be honestly wired on through the powerstrip's own ground prong?

For my money, I'd personally skip the house electrical system altogether and run a wire from the probe outside to a grounding spike (errr, spiked into the ground :) )

If I've misspoken, somebody correct me quick, hehe. But as MLP pointed out earlier, you can't really be sure (short of testing) that the grounding prong socket(or even the faceplate frame for the grounding screw) of a given power outlet is actually GROUNDED.

[This message has been edited by horge (edited 03-14-2000).]

Yes the powerstrip has a ground prong slots and the strip itself plugs into the wall with a ground on it.

If AC voltage is on & off, please explain the bottom half of the sin wave. It is not just measuerd in Hz. It's also measured in volts. Time to do some research, I'll be back.

Thanks

Paul

[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 03-14-2000).]

I pulled this from the Britannica website, here's the url.
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/8/0,5716,108498+7,00.html

ENCYCLOPÆDIA BRITANNICA

electricity

Alternating electric currents

Basic phenomena and principles

"Many applications of electricity and magnetism involve voltages that vary in time. Electric power transmitted over large distances from generating plants to users involves voltages that vary sinusoidally in time, at a frequency of 60 hertz (Hz) in the United States and Canada and 50 hertz in Europe. (One hertz equals one cycle per
second.) This means that in the United States, for example, the current alternates its direction in the electric conducting wires so that each second it flows 60 times in one direction and 60 times in the opposite direction."

This was another URL I found: http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/section-23.html

"A GFCI is a ``ground-fault circuit interrupter''. It measures the current flowing through the hot wire and the neutral wire. If they differ by more than a few milliamps, the presumption is that current is leaking to ground via some other path. This may be because of a short circuit to the chassis of an appliance, or to the ground lead, or through a person. Any of these situations is hazardous, so the GFCI trips, breaking the circuit.

GFCIs do not protect against all kinds of electric shocks. If, for example, you simultaneously touched the hot and neutral leads of a circuit, and no part of you was grounded, a GFCI wouldn't help. All of the current that passed from the hot lead into you would return via the neutral lead, keeping the GFCI happy.

The two pairs of connections on a GFCI outlet are not symmetric. One is labeled LOAD; the other, LINE. The incoming power feed *must* be connected to the LINE side, or the outlet will not be protected. The LOAD side can be used to protect all devices downstream from it. Thus, a whole string of outlets can be covered by a single GFCI outlet."

Can we please put this issue to bed now.

Thanks

Paul

A ground probe will help the GFI function.

------------------
I'm so skeptical, I can hardly believe it!
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

turbo,
Man this is a hard way to have a conversation! ;) Ok, We have chosen some poor words and picked some poor ways to get across our thoughts. Sheesh, what a can of worms I opened! :rolleyes:

Let me say that I have never used and do not plan on using a GFCI anytime soon for my tanks. Kitchens & bathrooms, yes because code requires it.

Again, my statement that started all of this was as I had be told be an electrical contractor (several years ago) also I red it a couple of years ago in an article: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Some hobbyists with engineering knowledge have correctly pointed out that grounding the aquarium may create a hazard for the aquarist, irrespective of any beneficial effect on the tankââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s inhabitants. The wire leading from the water to a ground on a nearby electrical circuit provides a path for current to flow in the event of an accident, such as a heater breaking or a light fixture falling into the water.

Further, the ability of a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) circuit breaker to interrupt the power flow in such an accident situation is thwarted by grounding the tank. Either problem is clearly a good reason not to ground the tank or to make absolutely certain all power sources are disconnected before putting oneââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s hand into the water.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Like I said, it seemed to make sense to me. Furthermore, since I do not use a GFCI around my tanks I did not pursue it any further. All of this and my recent research makes me question that, at least a bit. A simple test would answer that question though! :eek:

OK on to some of the confusion. You said; <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The GFCI wants to see 120v on the hot & 120v on the neutral, if it doesn't see that it will trip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I still disagree with this as it is written. In home AC wiring the black (line) wire carries voltage and that is it. The white (neutral) wire (sometimes called return) is just that, "Neutral" it carries no voltage, so to speak, it completes the circuit. In a home with a grounding rod driven into the ground, the neutral and the ground from the grounding rod are connected together inside the breaker box. I know this for a fact as I just did it on Dec 15 when my meter box burned out. Per electrical code and the scrutinizing inspections of the city inspector, to meet code on the new 200amp service feed I had to drive a ground rod (this is a very old house) and run it to my breaker box, tie it into the common (neutral) bar there and also run it up into the meter box and tie it directly into the common line that ties to the city power feed lines from the pole. Yes I did this, I did not pay someone else to do it, so I know exactly what and how it was done.
So my point is, is that there is no 120volts in the neutral line for the GFCI to compare to.

As for AC Voltage. It gets to me every time that someone says "it goes both way" That and I figured you were using this to substantiate the fact that there was voltage coming back from the neutral wire, made me grab at something real quick on the way out the door to get you to do some thinking and hopefully digging. And it did.

AC voltage alternates, its charge from positive to negative 60 time a second here in the US, ie: 60 cycles or 60 hertz. However, the actual flow of the electricity that does what we need it to do is in one direction. It enters our house via Line (black wire) and flows through our load (light, motor or whatever) where the voltage is used and the circuit current (not voltage) flows out the neutral wire.

Now (after digging into it) I understand the basic principle that the GFCI works on. It compares current (not voltage) on the line and load sides. What needs to be understood here (and this is why I disputed most of what you have said) is that voltage drops at the load source. So, 120volt into a light bulb, the light bulb burns and, zero voltage out. (well actually it is < 0.5 volts if I remember correctly) in other words all the voltage is used. However, Current stays the same throughout the circuit. Before, at and after the load current is the same for the given circuit. The GFCI compares the current before and after the load and looks for a variance. If that current variance is more than 5mA, then it trips. That makes me Q what I have been told and read about GFCI's and grounding probes in tanks, but I will still investigate that further.

Now on a couple side notes. hehehehehe ;)

You said: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Due to the natural high resistance of the human body, it's going to take some amps to push that voltage through.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Actually the human body has very low resistance and it a very good conductor.

Take a look at ohms law:

E = I x R

E --- volts
I --- current in amperes
R --- resistance in ohms

To find voltage: E = IR
To find amperage: I = E/R
To find ohms: R = E/I

If voltage remains constant, the current flow goes down if the resistance goes up.

That is why insulators and non-conductors do not flow electricity, they have high resistance. However, we have very low resistance, that is why we can get electrocuted so easily. If we had high resistance, electricity would not flow through our body. We are very good conductors, all things considered. Also, remember, Current (amperage) is what hurts us, not voltage. Ever been shocked by a spark plug wire on a car?? The old ones had at least 30,000 volts in them, the new ones are up to 80,000 volts, but there is no amperage. :D

BTW, in your quote of the GFCI page you omitted a word. I;m sure thinking it was a typo on their part. In all actuality that word you omitted is very important and when I read the actual page It made sense and went back and re-read your quote of it and noticed that you omitted a word that helped me understand the whole thing.

You quoted: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"A GFCI is a ``ground-fault circuit interrupter''. It measures the current flowing through the hot wire and the neutral wire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The actual page said: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A GFCI is a ``ground-fault circuit interrupter''. It measures the current current flowing through the hot wire and the neutral wire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It doesn't just measure current, but monitors and measures current at that particular moment. ie current current.

Here is one of the reasons I do not use a GFCI on my tanks: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Subject: Where shouldn't I use a GFCI?

GFCIs are generally not used on circuits that (a) don't pose a
safety risk, and (b) are used to power equipment that must run
unattended for long periods of time. Refrigerators, freezers,
and sump pumps are good examples. The rationale is that GFCIs
are sometimes prone to nuisance trips. Some people claim that
the inductive delay in motor windings can cause a momentary
current imbalance, tripping the GFCI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Happy Reefing,
Michael

Aquaria Central

No offense MLP, but Badgers has proven to know his sh*t. His simple statement, "A ground probe will help the GFI function." is enough for me. If you want an explanation regarding this just ask Badgers. If he has time I'm sure he'll thoroughly explain everything.

Andrew

I'm sorry, I guess The Encyclopedia Britannica is wrong, I guess the Electrical Engineers who design GFCI's are wrong and lastly I'm wrong.
BTW, I've been a Master Technician for the past 20+ yrs and I deal with AC, DC, Ohm's law and most important, Common Sense issues everyday. I am not going to waste any more time on this. I am now going to bow out gracefully.

Thanks

Paul

Canadian
I don't remember having a conversation with you anywhere in this thread! I was responding to the discussion I was having with turbo.

turbo
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm sorry, I guess The Encyclopedia Britannica is wrong, I guess the Electrical Engineers who design GFCI's are wrong and lastly I'm wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excuse me?? In what is that reference to???

BTW, I have been a Master Technician for the past 25+ years, and considered to be one of the best diagnostic techs in my area! So what's your point?
If you are going to get offended in a discussion don't partake in it. Seems in my last post I agreed (twice even) that my findings on researching how GFCIs work contradict what I have been told and read in the past on this. I see no reason for your last snipe at me. Oh well I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

Cheers,
Michael

Paul and Michael, if you felt offended by each other's quoting from books, understand that neither of you had an idea you were both EMTs who would feel being talked down to. This needn't be a waste. You've both made me realize that there's an awful lot I ought to know about for my own practice. I highly suspect future interaction, comparison and exchange would help others.

Canadian, I've enjoyed your past input a lot, and your last post on this thread surprised me. I would go slow using that tone on even the most inexperienced member of the board.

I'd go even slower using it on one of this board's founders.

Too bad an actual electrician doesn't jump in here. One thing I've learned over the years is that knowledge gained in one field doesn't necessarily transfer to a similar one. As I mentioned earlier, I'm no electrician but I see what appear to be inaccurate statements on both sides. Any master electricians out there who care to get involved in this?
Horge, MLP has always been a friend but he is not a founder of this board. I think you might be referring to MIKE, a different cat altogether. ;)

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

I agree Larry.
As indicated earlier, I asked some professionals in this field. They advised me to get a gfi breaker, put a ground probe in it. Thought that was the final word.
Now--I dunno. Here are two people, seem to both be knowlegable, arguing over the facts.
Then I see Levetron puts some erronous info in one of their own gfi boxes, which upon calling them, they scratch their heads, and admit is wrong--not sure why it was put in.

I'll admit--I am a little spooked at this point. Besides my own life, I got two small kids-who shouldn't have access to tank or sump-but knowing kids they might find a way.

I can live with fish getting zapped, power being cut off falsely. But my own and my children's safety is something that cannot be compromised. With all due respect, I think this is about as serious subject that can be discussed on this board. I hope egos, frustrations with communications, etc. can be put aside for awhile.
Please help give the facts-whoever you might be.
Thank you,
Bruce

The following quotes have had the posters name removed. I did this because I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t want this directed at anyone. Electricity canââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t be seen and that makes it difficult to get a gut feel for what is going on. It appears that some people are becoming uneasy regarding the safety of their tanks. This is written based on human safety, and not the safety or well being of the tank inhabitants, because I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know what is best for the tank critters.

[qoute]Note: In accordance with NEC Article 210-7(d), a GFCI receptacle may be used to replace an existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacle. In addition, existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacles may be replaced with grounding-type receptacles when they are supplied through a GFCI receptacle. (In this case, however, a grounding conductor should not be connected between the GFCI receptacle and those receptacles that it supplies).
I found it interesting that a GFCI receptacle may be used to replace an existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacle. I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. Since as I mentioned above, the GFCI looks for the surge (that may be a bad word to use, but you should know what I mean) internally. So it does not require a ground connected to itself to trip. In this case it would not provide any ground protection, just power interrupt[/quote]
This is a good example of how a GFI can not be looking at the voltages present. The GFI is looking for a current imbalance. A GFI is a zero sequence detector, it doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t care where the current leak is(a person, ground probe, capacitive coupling in wires or a ballast). this is why the GFI does not need the ground wire. If it was checking the voltage it would need the ground wire to measure it.
If the current on the hot and neutral are not equal by +/- 5ma then the device trips. A ground probe will help a GFI function by giving electrical energy a different/low impedance path back to the electrical panel in the event of an exposed wire. The GFI guards against the wires becoming exposed to the water. This is different then an induced voltage in the tank from an electric or magnetic field.
I agree that some GFIââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s are more reliable then others but I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know that it is that big of a deal for our applications.
The ground to neutral bond can also be troublesome for some homes. Peoples experiences with voltage on a ground wire in their home is a common problem. Farmers have noticed this regarding their livestock. Because the transformer feeding a house is typically very far away the problem can become more sever. Connecting a ground probe to an isolated ground rod will not help a gfi function, but this isolated ground rod will be less electrically noisy then one connected to your panels ground bar.
Your home ground system has a voltage impressed on it equal to the voltage drop of your neutral wire from the utility transformer to your electrical panel. Years ago it was customary to reduce the neutral size, so older homes may experience more voltage drop on the neutral then a newer home. This also explains how seemingly unrelated equipment can cause electrical noise in other pieces of equipment. You may here stories of how a person added a ground probe and when they put their hand in the tank they could feel a tingle. These homes most likely had a high voltage drop on the neutral wire.
In response to the original question, I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know. I am not a biologist so I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know how it affects livestock. I bought one and I do not have it installed. I have just put it off because I am lazy and been dealing with trying to catch some crabs in my live rock. Any suggestions will be appreciated :D If I do put it in it will go in my sump which is where all my ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œstuffââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ is. I would put it in more for the operation of the GFI then for the livestock.
The following is just my speculation and is not based on any test results or documented studies. :eek:
assuming that an entire volume of water is at the same voltage is a mistake in my opinion.
It is true that to have current flow you need a difference in potential. An induced electrical field or a magnetic field falls off at the square of the distance. A source of an electrical field will create a gradient around it. If one heater could raise the entire tank to the same potential it would blow my mind. Something has to limit the dispersion of an electrical field or it would go on forever.
There is a limited amount of energy being emitted, it can not be infinite.. By shunting that energy to ground in the form of more current you then limit the voltage. I would place the ground probe as close to the heaters and pumps as possible. This would cause the field to drop off very quickly keeping it from the tank. I would be cautious of some ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œstudiesââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ which used electrical meters to test the tank voltage. There are two leads on a meter, one in the tank and one some where else. Where you put that second lead is critical because it is your reference. Put a ground probe in your tank and then place one meter probe in the water and the other on the ground prong of your receptacle and you will read very near 0 volts. Congratulations you just measured the voltage at two ends of the ground probe. The ground probe and the meter share the ground connection in the receptacle and share the connection in the tank. If your ground has 8 volts on it your meter will not see it. Connecting a meter from the tank to an isolated ground rod will give you a different perspective on things. Which is correct? I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know. We drive by and live by sources of electrical and magnetic fields every day. Radio stations broadcast towers, cell towers, etc.
Because the electrical and magnetic fields can not go on for ever I think that placing things in the sump would help in any case. The farther potential sources of electrical and magnetic fields are from the live stock the less intense these fields will be in the main tank.
Bottom line, biology is far more complex then simple electrical engineering. I got the ground probe for 11 bucks. If I add the probe and the live stock responds poorly then I will get rid of the probe. If I add the probe and nothing happens then I will keep it to help the GFI and breaker trip. If I add the probe and the fish respond better then I will definitely keep the thing. :) I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t care how good your argument is, if the fish freak then the probe goes out the window. I really believe that each case will be unique depending on the ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œqualityââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ of the home/building grounding. Do not assume that the ground or neutral are at zero volts. They are most likely very low and I would say that 10 volts would be high. But I think that 2 volts would be common.
Back to some facts
For those who were/are worried about this. From a safety standpoint you want everything grounded except you. The NEC requires many things to be grounded because it increases safety for people. Every metal conduit and water pipe is required to be grounded by the NEC. For swimming pools and spas the metal ladder used for getting in and out of the pool is requried by the NEC to be grounded(big ground probe). Any conductive surface withing 6 feet of a pool/hot tub must be grounded. The pool and spa pumps are required to be GFI protected. Ground probes in the sump/tank will increase safety there as well. The GFI will also increase safety for a person.
ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œI can live with fish getting zapped, power being cut off falsely.ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚
This is the only possible down side to adding a ground probe and a GFI.
thank you for your time and have a good day

------------------
I'm so skeptical, I can hardly believe it!
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back