Growing Cheato With A HOB Fuge?

Ive got 2 20gal tanks i run & id gone that rout at one time too, but to be honest size does matter especially on a sump or refugium, so eventually i just placed my cheato at ea. top back corner of my tanks held in place by a powerhead feed and it grows like crazy with my T5HO lights during the day just no night growth to help PH is all.. but no big deal anyway and does not effect my tank.
That light at 7000K is borderline at best, im running 14,000K lights. My cheato gets about 6"X6" every month then i cut in half & toss out both sides. Being in the upper corners it gets tons of flow & frankly looks natural to me & its where my pods hide as well as in the live rock so that is a plus also. I purchased 2 setups like what your looking at and they were a total headache TBH due to matinance & cleaning frequently where as my in tank cheato has better lighting, better growth, & no matinance other then trimming so i was not happy at all with the lighting or the mini fuge setup results at all. And yes the flow was low also.

Ive got 2 20gal tanks i run & id gone that rout at one time too, but to be honest size does matter especially on a sump or refugium, so eventually i just placed my cheato at ea. top back corner of my tanks held in place by a powerhead feed and it grows like crazy with my T5HO lights during the day just no night growth to help PH is all.. but no big deal anyway and does not effect my tank.
That light at 7000K is borderline at best, im running 14,000K lights. My cheato gets about 6"X6" every month then i cut in half & toss out both sides. Being in the upper corners it gets tons of flow & frankly looks natural to me & its where my pods hide as well as in the live rock so that is a plus also. I purchased 2 setups like what your looking at and they were a total headache TBH due to matinance & cleaning frequently where as my in tank cheato has better lighting, better growth, & no matinance other then trimming so i was not happy at all with the lighting or the mini fuge setup results at all. And yes the flow was low also.

Thank you! Appreciate you saving me close to $70 :p

How do you pin the cheato with the powerhead? I think I'll try copying your method. I have chaeto in my tank now and I just shoved it behind LR in the back and its rather unsightly to be honest.

I tried a bit of cheato in my 13.5G AIO for a while but cheato go into the tank and began to flourish everywhere as the tine strains easily climbed to the rock work and everything else. Took forever to eradicate. When back to an ATS, much easier to manage IMO. Good luck.

Hi,
Yes you have to handle the cheato gently but bits here & there do not harm anything its natural and like the looks or not the Ocean is not perfect beautiful & pristine everywhere ive snorkeled the Keys enough times to know this fact. If you have a sump then yes you can have the artificial perfect look 24/7.
Actually macro algaes are all over the place in nature tho.
I have no sumps so i have to go the natural look which i actually like so all i did was place a plastic rod thru the center of ea. cheato ball & it has a 90 degree bend on the top so just clips onto the back of the aquariums, simple as that. Remove rod & cut cheato in half then replace back.
When i do my water change i remove any small pcs of cheato with a lil tool that looks like a mini back scratcher i got at Menards.
Anyway works for me & the cheato out competed the red slime issue i was having so ill take cheato over cyano anyday of the week.

Hi,
Yes you have to handle the cheato gently but bits here & there do not harm anything its natural and like the looks or not the Ocean is not perfect beautiful & pristine everywhere ive snorkeled the Keys enough times to know this fact. If you have a sump then yes you can have the artificial perfect look 24/7.
Actually macro algaes are all over the place in nature tho.
I have no sumps so i have to go the natural look which i actually like so all i did was place a plastic rod thru the center of ea. cheato ball & it has a 90 degree bend on the top so just clips onto the back of the aquariums, simple as that. Remove rod & cut cheato in half then replace back.
When i do my water change i remove any small pcs of cheato with a lil tool that looks like a mini back scratcher i got at Menards.
Anyway works for me & the cheato out competed the red slime issue i was having so ill take cheato over cyano anyday of the week.

It's interesting you can grow cheato like that.

Its all just having nutrients & good water movement & as much light as possible and not minding actually seeing cheato in the DT, cheato will grow like crazy then, so does the coralline. I hover at 10 on P & N. But i do my weekly water changes religiously and that is all the fussing i do period for my tanks cheato. I run 10 hrs. a day on the T5HOs. 1 14K blue & 1 14K violet 420 coral grow bulb in simple $50 fixtures. Its easy and perfect growing lamps, doubt ill ever be a big LED light fan too much fussing with settings the T5s are just hard to beat, set & forget for 6 months to a yr. I like it simple.

I started with T5's years ago but the splatter on the fixtures just was a pain for me along with the permanent staining. Then of course the expense of bulbs over the years. I seem content now with the Led's.

You can use plastic needlepoint canvas to try to keep cheato out of the pumps: just use scissors and stitch with fishing line to create a protective box, which is a little more flow-friendly than a sponge. Your local Michael's or yarn shop.

I started with T5's years ago but the splatter on the fixtures just was a pain for me along with the permanent staining. Then of course the expense of bulbs over the years. I seem content now with the Led's.

I understand,
If i didn't have hinged glass covers on my tanks id have to go with a good LED myself but the covers stop most of the evap & lights stay clean. Bulbs aren't bad as i buy them in bulk online of 12 at a time so im good for yrs at about 1/3rd bulb price & 1 time shipping no LFS bulbs.

You can use plastic needlepoint canvas to try to keep cheato out of the pumps: just use scissors and stitch with fishing line to create a protective box, which is a little more flow-friendly than a sponge. Your local Michael's or yarn shop.

If i ever decide to try a anemone ill remember that idea, that was always my fear one getting tore up in a pump.:thumbsup:

Back