Gumdrop Coral Crouchers

my pair is very personable. They have great little personalities once they get comfortable in their home. Mine come out often, and eat right out of the turkey baster! Their faces give them a lot of personality as well :)

The dorsal fin is venemous, although I have never been stung and have handled mine by accident once (he was hiding on the powerhead when I took it out to clean it and I didnt see him till he almost plopped on the carpet). I have read that it feels similar to a bee sting.

my pair is very personable. They have great little personalities once they get comfortable in their home. Mine come out often, and eat right out of the turkey baster! Their faces give them a lot of personality as well :)

The dorsal fin is venemous, although I have never been stung and have handled mine by accident once (he was hiding on the powerhead when I took it out to clean it and I didnt see him till he almost plopped on the carpet). I have read that it feels similar to a bee sting.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to test out the sting... Very cool fish. Certainly something to consider...

edit: Is there a way to tell determine their gender?

I'm not sure, but I think my 'pair' is two males. When I put them in, they started squabbling around each other like they wanted to fight, but weren't sure how to. They usually stay on opposite sides of the tank, no real 'pair' behavior like the pictures from the OP. :sad1:

I am not sure either how to tell gender. I purchased them from divers den as a pair so I just assumed i was getting a male and female (since i have read that same gender gumdrops in the same tank doesnt work well). Mine hang out together in the same coral without any fighting although they each have their "own" birdsnest that they prefer. I have seen my bigger one get irritated once with the smaller one when it came up too close to its favorite birdsnest :lmao:. I would be interested to know if there is a way to sex them.

]Here is the Croucher from tonight[/url], but he's blind in one eye. :hmm2:

Mine is blind in one eye as well. He/she was so small when I got it, I didn't notice it was missing an eye. I've had it for probably six months, and it's doing great. I wonder if this is just a coincidence, or if they're prone to losing an eye????

Where in the world did you obtain them?Very different.

I got mine form the LFS. You'll need to ask someone at the store if they have any, or if they can order you one. You're not likely to see it at the LFS, unless you ask, because it will most likely be hiding. They do show up online as well.

they are in the scorpion fish family so somewhat closely related to anglers.

FWIW, they're definitely scorps, but are not closely related to anglers, because anglers and scorps are not closely related.

They're great little fish, altho many specimens can be rather cryptic. That's great that your fish will feed from the water column.

FWIW, they're definitely scorps, but are not closely related to anglers, because anglers and scorps are not closely related.

They're great little fish, altho many specimens can be rather cryptic. That's great that your fish will feed from the water column.

I figured they diverged not too far from one another on the tree since they have some similar characteristics, but i was just guessing thanks for clarification :) I have two frogfishes as well and they do behave similarly!

Where in the world did you obtain them?Very different.

i got mine from Divers Den from liveaquaria.com, but I have seen them rarely at my LFS. You should check out your LFS, or see if they can order one for you :)

No worries melbell. We "specialize" in keeping Scorpaeniformes, and we also have an angler or two in residence from time to time, so I tossed in my .02. They do behave similarly since they're ambush preds. In fact, they'd make great tankmates if they wouldn't eat one another.

I got a pair a while ago from Live Aquaria. They hid all day, unless it was feeding time. And even then, they would dart out of the giant candy cane they lived in to grab food, and then quickly retreat back inside it. Very shy.

Back