Had enough

goochesfish

I've had my 150 gallon since 2009. I keep it because I don't know what to do with my 15 inch Durasa that I've had since it was 2 inches. I'm tired of replacing equipment as they break down. I'm tired of my exorbitant electric bill. I want to break it down.

I got a 150 (my 4th tank at the time) in 1990. It was supposed to be my reef. Instead it became home to a 4’ Undulated Moray. For the next 25 years. He finally passed in 2015. I sold the tank, but I’d already decided on a 120 anyway.

I am sure someone would take the clam vs killing it though I have seen people do that.

If you wanted a clam only nano that would be cool and if you sold off most of your equipment it should cover a new tank etc. You could use pickling lime in your top off vs a new dosing pump etc.

Good luck.

There are enough accomplished Reefers in the LA who can and will take your clam and it will thrive in their tank. Post this in the So Cal Reefers Forum.

I feel ya! I've been in this hobby for over 15 years. Its a love hate relationship. My tank's been neglected for over a year. I haven't done a water change for over 7 months in my 150g but corals are still thriving. I only have 1 yellow tang and a percula so that helps keep water parameters ok. I'm obviously pushing my luck but I'm in the hate phase right now. Hope to get back to the love phase soon.

I've been there... a couple times. I will tell you I was without a tank for two years, and it didn't take me long to miss it and want to start again. Love hate for sure. It's a money pit, and some of the anxiety it can create is tough at times. But, it's something to keep me busy with, spend money on, and a couple times a week, sit with a glass of whiskey and just stare and relax.

LOL. Been there myself also. You do it long enough, you would want to Bazooka your tank after a while. Almost tore everything down a year ago. Very frustrated. Had a crappy sump setup and didn't have time to do a proper tank room and sump setup. Was on tour too many times. My son (5 at the time) accidentally put soap in the sump thinking he is cleaning the tank for me when I get back and everything died.

Came back and wanted to sell everything and my son talked me out of it. He said this would be your therapy. And it was. Glad I didn't get rid of it. Now my system (properly set up for once) is doing great. Been a great distraction to all the crap that has been going on. And also have been maintaining it with my son.

I've had my 150 gallon since 2009. I keep it because I don't know what to do with my 15 inch Durasa that I've had since it was 2 inches. I'm tired of replacing equipment as they break down. I'm tired of my exorbitant electric bill. I want to break it down.

this is my biggest fear. Right now I am very gungho about learning and getting ready to start picking stuff up to my tank together over the next few years. I worry that once I have it all up I will quickly tire of it and not put in the work it will need to stay maintained.

It really becomes an issue if you have not just one tank but basically a garage full and it starts looking like a fish store or an aquaculture facility. The electric bill is one thing (I seriously got to go solar, if for nothing else than the light) but the amount of work starts feeling like it's a second job on top of the one you need to finance everything. And now I also got back into breeding which in itself is another job altogether...
Sleep? I don't have time for such nonsense...
Vacation? Would have to hire someone full time to keep things running...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

this is my biggest fear. Right now I am very gungho about learning and getting ready to start picking stuff up to my tank together over the next few years. I worry that once I have it all up I will quickly tire of it and not put in the work it will need to stay maintained.

Do you need any equipment. In March when things started to break one at a time, I started replacing stuff. I'd like to sell 2 new radions and 2 new reeflo dart pumps. Remember, I did not quickly tire of it as I've had tank since 2009 with all original equipment. Things started to need replacement and I have to quit while ahead. I should have quit in March but I didn't think everything would all break down. I found a home for clam. It's in a 240 gallon tank now. Gave it away.

Do you need any equipment. In March when things started to break one at a time, I started replacing stuff. I'd like to sell 2 new radions and 2 new reeflo dart pumps. Remember, I did not quickly tire of it as I've had tank since 2009 with all original equipment. Things started to need replacement and I have to quit while ahead. I should have quit in March but I didn't think everything would all break down. I found a home for clam. It's in a 240 gallon tank now. Gave it away.

As much as I'd love to say yes it will be a few years before it's even an option.

Back